Yamaha 2006 150 gear oil change blunder

sflman33176

Recruit
I have to say I may have screwed the pooch on this do it yourself job. I screwed the pump into the top overflow and left the bottom drain screw in needless to say after pumping away I noticed my blunder and had oil spewing from almost all the places it shouldn't. My question is what damage have I done to the lower unit and secondly how hard are the seals to change that I obviously damaged one of which was already going bad from the oil residue I found at the base of the propeller shaft. I already know I need a spanner wrench to get to the lower seal is this something I could attempt.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yamaha 2006 150 gear oil change blunder

Did you have water in the drained oil? If you did or didn't, pressure test the lower. If you kept pumping the oil in, the seals could be overwhelmed, but not necessarily to the point of failure. You don't say if the motor is 2 or 4 stroke. If it's a two stroke, the oil by the prop shaft may be unburned oil.

Welcome aboard.

sflman33176

Recruit

Did you have water in the drained oil? If you did or didn't, pressure test the lower. If you kept pumping the oil in, the seals could be overwhelmed, but not necessarily to the point of failure. You don't say if the motor is 2 or 4 stroke. If it's a two stroke, the oil by the prop shaft may be unburned oil.

Welcome aboard.

4 stroke but the other didn't have the same color oil or the residue

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

4 stroke but the other didn't have the same color oil or the residue

I have read and re read this several times, but it still does not make any sense to me.

What other are you referring to

And he said if it is a 2 stroke

Do as he said and pressure test like the service manual calls for to see if you have seals that need attention

robert graham

Admiral

I have to say I may have screwed the pooch on this do it yourself job. I screwed the pump into the top overflow and left the bottom drain screw in needless to say after pumping away I noticed my blunder and had oil spewing from almost all the places it shouldn't. My question is what damage have I done to the lower unit and secondly how hard are the seals to change that I obviously damaged one of which was already going bad from the oil residue I found at the base of the propeller shaft. I already know I need a spanner wrench to get to the lower seal is this something I could attempt.

My guess is you just forced some gear oil past some seals....no big deal....just drain and refill to proper level.

sflman33176

Recruit

I would like to do the pressure test I assume this is done without any oil in the unit.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, empty lower unit. And if it doesn't hold pressure, use a spray mister with some dish washer soap and water to find the bubbles.

sflman33176

Recruit

I heard some used a bike pump to check pressure or is there a cheap tool you can recommend The local boat supply place doesn't stock the Yamaha tester