Carb bowl corrosion

ed72vette

Seaman
I just opened the cabs on my 90hp 2s 2004 Yamaha outboard. All 3 carbs have corrosion inside the float bowls. Is there a corrosion leveling coating that I can apply and will not be effected by 10% ethanol fuels?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Carb bowl corrosion

No coating. Just fully clean the carbs (I use a carb cleaner dip), keep them clean and don't let the fuel sit in them for extended periods.

robert graham

Admiral

That carb float chamber corrosion is caused by small amount of water there...another really good reason to drain each carb float chamber a couple of times per year and especially during motor lay-ups of more than several weeks....

ed72vette

Seaman

Thanks for the info. I have been draining the bowls over the winter for the last 9 years, but I have not been draining them when not being used during periods of non use in the spring and summer. I guess I will have to be more diligent in draining.

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some may disagree with me on this but, when I lived in Florida and rebuilt marine carbs, it was common to find corrosion in the bowls. I gently sand blasted the bowls, and using an acid type brush, applied a thin coat of Marine Tex ( think that was what is was called ) to the inside bottom of the bowls, filling in the areas that porosity was evident, never had one come back. Rick

robert graham

Admiral

Thanks for the info. I have been draining the bowls over the winter for the last 9 years, but I have not been draining them when not being used during periods of non use in the spring and summer. I guess I will have to be more diligent in draining.

When you drain float chambers, tilt motor up slightly so the drain hole is a bit lower and drains completely....with drain plug out, pump primer bulb a few times to "flush" chamber a bit to remove any water/contamination. I always put a rag or towel under carbs while draining to catch drain plugs, fuel during the procedure....good luck!