2005 yamaha 150 4stroke vapor lock

rick causey

Recruit
My dealer told me my starting problem was caused by a vapor lock when the engine was warm. He said this could be fixed by installing a vapor lock kit from yamaha. The only problem with that is yamaha no longer offers this kit. When they did the cost was over $700.00. Yamaha told me I could get my dealer to order the parts and build the kit which will more than double the cost of the parts.I have twin engines on my boat,run ethanol free gas and use yamaha ring free additive. The filters are change at each service. My port engine runs fine no problems. I bought this boat used when it was less than one year old. I only have 302 hours on the engines. The port engine has one of the vapor lock kits on it. I don't know if it came from the factory that way or if the prior owner had it repaired. I have had this problem for a long time,like a fool I didn't take it in for repairs until it got really bad. My warranty ran out last year and yamaha want help at all even tho they knew it existed in 2005. Does anyone know where I can get one of these kits or have any other ideas on how to fix this issue.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2005 yamaha 150 4stroke vapor lock

------------------

Last edited:

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've had my 150 for nearly 10 years now and never encountered the problem. The 150's have a tube the fuel runs through to cool it to prevent this and the only other spot I could see problems would be a hose thats loose and causing air to get in the system or perhaps your primer bulb is hooped and is blocking the line when at high speeds.....Sherm

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

I've had my 150 for nearly 10 years now and never encountered the problem. The 150's have a tube the fuel runs through to cool it to prevent this and the only other spot I could see problems would be a hose thats loose and causing air to get in the system or perhaps your primer bulb is hooped and is blocking the line when at high speeds.....Sherm

Good point. The fuel cooler needs to be inspected to verify that water can flow freely through the water side and that fuel can flow freely through the fuel side. And make sure that all water cooling hoses are free and clear internally.

Capt Ken

Commander

We've had problems with smaller four strokes that run in shallow waters, picking up sand and shell and plugging up the fuel cooler and causing vapor lock. I would remove the cooler and make sure its clear of debris. We solved that problem on rental boats by installing small filters on the incoming lines to the cooler to catch the junk first. One of the indicatons of a plugged cooler on the smaller engines was the pee stream was very strong from the back pressure.