Oil issues 87 Yamaha 115etlh

Naskow530

Recruit
I'm having trouble with my 115, should be an easy fix. I have the precision blend system, the engine mounted oil tank is causing me headaches. When the motor is running it causes the tank to be compressed with air or too much oil pressure and pops off my float sensor cap. While digging into it yesterday I ran the motor with the plastic carb cover off and before the cap was about to pop off, oil was coming out of the breather vent tube coming from the top of the tank. I purchased a new float sensor hoping to kill the problem, it didn't help, the magnetic float works fine. Up and down as it should. This is a strong motor and I've babied it. I just need some advice on how to fix it and get me back on the water to catch more bass.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Oil issues 87 Yamaha 115etlh

I'm having trouble with my 115, should be an easy fix. I have the precision blend system, the engine mounted oil tank is causing me headaches. When the motor is running it causes the tank to be compressed with air or too much oil pressure and pops off my float sensor cap. While digging into it yesterday I ran the motor with the plastic carb cover off and before the cap was about to pop off, oil was coming out of the breather vent tube coming from the top of the tank. I purchased a new float sensor hoping to kill the problem, it didn't help, the magnetic float works fine. Up and down as it should. This is a strong motor and I've babied it. I just need some advice on how to fix it and get me back on the water to catch more bass.

What is the "it" that you refer to?

What is the "carb cover" that you refer to?

Is the situation that too much oil is flowing into the main tank which then is causing the sensor cover to be forced off of the tank?

Why did you replace the oil tank sensor? Did you test all three switches inside and determine that the top switch was not working?

Do you have an understanding as to how the complete system operates?

Naskow530

Recruit

The "it" I refer to is unknown. Something is causing my float sensor cap to be pushed out of the top of my engine mounted tank. The carb cover was a mistake. It's a plastic air intake cover. I replaced the float sensor with a shot in the dark. I'm not 100% positive on how the system works, I have the main tank in my boat by my gas tank that sucks the oil from there into the motor. Other than that I'm lost. Thank you replying to my post

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

There is an oil pump on the remote oil tank. The one in the boat. That pump transfers oil from the remote tank to the main tank (one on the motor) if and when the brain of the motor tells it to do so.

The sensor that goes into the main oil tank has three switches within it. As the float rises and falls, these switches open or close. When the float drops from the top position the top switch opens. Nothing happens. When the float gets to about the middle position the middle switch closes. This tells the brain that the tanks needs some oil. The brain then turns on the pump. As the pump runs oil transfers to the main tank. As the tank is filled the float rises. When the float rises to the top the top switch will close. This tells the brain that the tank is full and to stop sending oil.

Sounds to me like the pump is not shutting off, in which case it will keep pumping oil which will send oil out the air vent and/or perhaps cause the sensor/cap to be blown off.

I would first verify that the sensor switches are opening and closing as they are supposed to. Yes, the sensor is new but it can't hurt to check it. This will also be a learning tool for you to see how it functions. If the sensor checks OK, I would then check to make sure that the wire leads from the sensor to the motor (oil control unit) are in good condition. That is, they have continuity and are not broken or corroded. Check both the wires that go to the brain (top to bottom they are white, brown and red) and the wire (black) that goes to ground. The system works off of a ground reference. If the ground wire is broken then the sensor cannot tell the brain the situation with respect to the float sensor switches.

Do these checks and then get back to us. I note that you said this should be an easy fix. It might well be. Most fixes are easy. Finding out what in the hell needs fixing can be the tough part.

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Some times the float on motor oil tank switch will bind up if all of the parts( strainer and others) are not in good shape.
Make sure you replace the foam strainer/gasket with new when replacing the switch and that you retrieve the old one out of tank when removing old level switch.
Best to drain oil tank before starting the replacement