1991 Yamaha 30ELRP Need to hook up ignition and kill switches forward

Will-E

Recruit
Hi all,
Well I inherited a boat, 13 foot poor copy of a Boston Whaler, with a rather large center console. Has a 1991 30HP Yamaha 30ELRP that it is unclear when it ran last. There is compression; I can't attempt more than a 1 time pull start because of shoulder issues.
On the right side of the console is a single lever flush mount shift/throttle lever, and those cables inside the console go under the floorboards to the motor, that when moved, appears to shift and advance the throttle ok.
On the console near the steering wheel are empty holes where once was gages and 3 small holes that appear to be a key switch hole, a kill switch hole and a toggle switch hole. I have an old picture of the boat with my uncle and that is how I determined what those holes were for. But they are empty of components.
I can look in the access port of the console and there are wires dangling in there. Not sure how someone got in there thru that tiny access, I can only imagine that the console was originally rigged and then bolted in the boat.
The motor has two large black wires coming out that go to the battery, as they have a loop crimp on each one, and one end is red and the other black. Then there is another wire bundle coming out about 6 inches that has a 7 pin plug on it. Laying in the bilge was another 7 pin plug that fits into this one coming out of the motor. The one in the bilge goes up to the console, where it ends with a few bare wires dangling in there.
Since it does not have one of those 703 controls and is sort of a custom setup, I at first thought of just buying a 703 kit, till I saw the price.
So since I can shift and throttle the motor, then all I need is some sort of correct key switch, a correct toggle switch ( I "assume" that was the choke), a kill switch, and a tach. THEN I would need to know what wire to hook up to what item on what terminal.

Another question; is there a neutral interlock that prevents the motor from being started in gear?
ALSO, Should I be able to start the motor by "hand" if I keep the external wiring unplugged and get some beefy guy to attempt a pull start with rope around the flywheel? I'd actually like to hear it run so I know it still does before dumping money into this. Though this boat has a somewhat sentimental value, my wife has had a pacemaker and major back surgery recently so I just don't have too many funds to put into this..
After that I'll tackle the hydraulic steering, but that will be another question later..
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Willy in Astoria, OR

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1991 Yamaha 30ELRP Need to hook up ignition and kill switches forward

yes it should start just by pulling rope,
but you will need to figure out how you will turn it off before starting it.
As without the key switch or the kill switch hooked up to ground out the white wire it is hard to turn off

See if this wire color chart will help you rig up start and stop switches
Wiring Color Codes for YAMAHA Outboard Motors.

Will-E

Recruit

Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to figure something out.
I got the neighbors son over, he's a rather large boy, linebacker on High School team. I unplugged the harness, got a gallon of fresh non ethanol, pumped the gas bulb a couple times, and let him do the pulling. Second pull, it popped. Third pull she started! Not bad for not running for at least 3 years. Smoke, and rough, but smoothed out somewhat, but not as smooth as it should be. Got water spurting out the rear but just dribbling out the pee hole.
After running for about 5 minutes, touching different parts of the block, was just slightly warm, and seemed to be universally the same temp, no hot spots or excessive heat. The water barrel I was running the motor in had a black oil covering. Pulled the plugs, they are black oily looking.. Did compression, made sure carbs were WOT; top one about 122psi the other two have 120psi. The top plug was also the cleanest of the 3.
Today it's foggy and drizzly; sucks to not have a place inside or even under cover at least to work on things like this.. Wouldn't mind moving inland a bit, at least off the coast a few miles but still near the river; 20 miles inland from here it is bright and sunny. IN fact sometimes wife will be at work only 9 miles away and she has sun all day and it never comes out at home, the seafog hugs the coast..
WW

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I would be pulling and cleaning the carbs and the fuel pump and lines to make sure the carbs do not get another hit once put back together