Oil pump on Suzuki dt30c 1999

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice
Hello there

I have a problem with my Suzuki dt30c 1999.

The engine idles fine but the problem is that it is not running clean from just above idle to full throttle?.It?s like it?s getting too much fuel, and it is not running clean.

I have cleaned the carbs 3 times, where they have been soaked overnight and use compressed air to blow out all the jets etc. I have done a link and sync. The filter in the oil line has been cleaned and a new fuel pump installed. I have checked all the electric parts and all of that is ok.

Last time I was on the water I noticed that when I was trolling there was a lot of oil coming from the exhaust port. I measured the link rod from the carb to the Then I got to think that maybe the oil pump it pumping too much oil in the fuel and maybe that can be the problem. ??

On the enclosed pictures you can see the fuel pump and the oil pump. On fig 7A, the fuel pump the hose from the oil pump goes on to the number 15 tree way. On the other fig, the oil pump I was thinking on replacing the o-ring number 1C and the gasket number 4. Maybe the o-ring I leaking in to the engine??
I don?t really know what to do any more and I hope that some of you guys can help me

Regards Jannik

Attachments

• fuel pump.jpg
    fuel pump.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 0
  • oilpump1.jpg
    oilpump1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Oil pump on Suzuki dt30c 1999

What is your air/fuel mix screws set at? Spark plug gaps set up correctly?

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice

Hello deejaycee_2000
The air/fuel mix screws is set at 1 ? turn out from lightly seated and the spark plug gap i set acording to the manual, i think it is 1 mm. The thing that troubles me is that it is really spitting out oil when in idle, any thoughts on that?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I would suggest taking the oil pump off and inspecting the seals .... I have never come across this problem as the suzuki oil system is one of the best ... I would also suggest inspecting the reed valves ... you can always disconnect the oil pump and run it on pre-mixed gas ..

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice

That is what i was thinking of doing and hope that i can find a problem and hopefully get it fixed. From the other threads that i have read the suzuki system is really good and it would be a shame to disconnect it.
About the reeds - I have thought about that, but the dealer that i talked about the problem sayed that when it idles fine the reeds should be fine, whats your thought on that? Of course the reeds needs to be checked anyway.

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice

Check the reeds today and there was no cracks or any damage and they were airtight when i sucked in the intake hole.
Also took the oilpump off today and there was no leak and the gasket and o ring were ok. Too it apart and it looked ok and tried it in the vice with a drill and it pumped oil out fine.
When i had the carbs of anyway i cleaned them and did a small adjustment on the float, it was within spec but put them at the same hight.
So now im back where im started and i don't know what to do, i think the next step is to take it to a dealer and let him try...
If there is anyone with a good idear im am all ears:)

James R

Commander

Have you checked the compressions, sparks and plugs. If the plugs are old replace them. Sounds like one cylinder is not firing and pumping fuel and oil out of the exhaust. Yes it will idle, all be it a little rough.

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice

Hello James R
The plug are new, i have measured everything at the ignition according to the manual and it is fine, is there another way to check if one cylinder is not firing?
Jannik

deejaycee_2000

Captain

You can test that buy removing the spark plugs 1 by 1 pushing it back into the boot and holding it on the block (with thick gloves on otherwise you will shock) wile cranking it, you will then see if it sparks or not ...

James R

Commander

The simple way to see if a cylinder is not performing is to pull the plug wire off when the motor is running. If there is no change to the running then that cylinder is not performing. If the oiling system is over oiling that can be the problem. In most Suzuki manuals there is an oil flow check procedure. I use a graduated large syringe which I connect to the oil pump in place of the tank and hang it above the oil pump. Fill it with oil and with the motor hooked up to a jug of 50:1 mix, run the motor and follow the check/set procedure.

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice

Hello again
My next step is to do at check on the oilpump and figure out if it is pumping to much, and then i will check the plugs. It is winter here in Denmark so i think i will winterize it and then in the spring look in to it again.
Thanks for you input and i will let you know when i have tried to test the oilpump and the plugs.
Jannik

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice

Hello again
Yesterday i cheked the oilpump and it is pumping within spec. Also cheked the spark with and old distributer cap where i made the disstance to 10 mm and it made a nice and great spark. The compression on all 3 cylinders were 135 PSI. I winterized the engine so in the spring i will take it to a mechanic because i'm all out of idears. I think it has something to do with the carbs but they have been cleaned 3 times and the link n sync is also ok. Thanks again for your input. Hope to get i sorted out next spring.
Jannik

James R

Commander

You have tried most things. It is possible that there is a fuel flow restriction or the pump is not performing. You can use a plastic jug full of fuel instead of the tank to see if there is a blockage at the pick up. Pumping the primer bulb helps the fuel pump so if that works rebuild the pump.

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice

I have meausred the carb float levels and they are within spec of the manual when i measure them with the carbs inverted. But then i have read that you have to rotate the carb to measure the float level but i can't seem to figure that out.
The fuel line is new and the fuel pump has been rebuild