1985 175hp yamaha check for spark problem

cireg24

Cadet
Ok I'll try to make this short...my old yamaha outboard has no spark used a spark tester no spark to any coil. Disconnected white kill switch wires at cdi jumped the motor still no spark. So here's my question I want to check stator and pulse coil trigger in the order someone tells me to start. I got a multimeter and dva adapter, will a generic multimeter work my adapter fits right in i bought online. What settings do I set meter at is it dc volt or dc amps? What do I check first where do I put my wire leads to which wires and what should I be getting as a reading to start eliminating what my electrical issue is. thanks everybody. Appreciate the patience I can follow directions but never tested outboard electrical beyond battery voltage.

cireg24

Cadet
Re: 1985 175hp yamaha check for spark problem

Thank you thank you for responding if anyone else can tell me which wires to start with I'm assuming wires coming into rectifier for stator and coil but in what order and which probe touches which one thanks again.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

That info is in the manual that 99yam linked you to. Downloadable version here...

Technical Support | CDI Electronics

(I just found that link this morning)

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

you need to be checking the charge coils and pulser coils feeding into the CDI not the lighting coils feeding the rectifier/regulator if you are looking into the no spark issue

cireg24

Cadet

QUOTE=99yam40;4405776]you need to be checking the charge coils and pulser coils feeding into the CDI not the lighting coils feeding the rectifier/regulator if you are looking into the no spark issue[/QUOTE]

thanks you all again Im dreaming of taking my kids out in he water. back in the day when i was teenager ii used to take an even older boat with a mercury outboard out to sea. sometimes we had to get towed back in but it didnt matter. we didnt care it was just fun being out there, crazy but fun. Won't do that now.....just something I look back at. So anyhow just wanted to thank all and I'll post what I find. I know time is not free so I'll pay it forward.

cireg24

Cadet

That info is in the manual that 99yam linked you to. Downloadable version here...

Technical Support | CDI Electronics

(I just found that link this morning)

Ok so I don't understand where to connect my multimeters dva wires to test this ...pg 100 number 2 does read from get one lead and read to gets other or

2. Check the resistance and DVA output of the Stator and Trigger:
Read from
White/Red Trigger wire White/Black Trigger wire White/ Yellow Trigger wire Brown Stator wire
Blue Stator wire
Read to
White/ Green Trigger wire White/Blue Trigger wire White/Brown Trigger wire Red Stator wire Black/Red Stator wire
OEM Reading 280-430 ohms 280-430 ohms 280-430 ohms 840-1260 ohms 65-130 ohms
CDI Reading 280-430 ohms 280-430 ohms 280-430 ohms 600-800 ohms 10-20 ohms
DVA (connected) 2.5 Volts Minimum 2.5 Volts Minimum 2.5 Volts Minimum 85 Volts Minimum 25 Volts Minimum

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

hook one lead to the read from wire and the other lead to the read to wire in the chart

cireg24

Cadet

hook one lead to the read from wire and the other lead to the read to wire in the chart

THANK YOU when I do I'll post results.......you guys are awesome!!!!!

cireg24

Cadet

Ok I'm back so I set my multimeter to ohms symbol using dva and I got reading 900 ohms on stator but nothing on trigger.....so I don't know if I'm doing it right. Let's assume the triggers bad. exactly where do I set my multimeter on and test. Can i do a simple test without sending power to engine. my multimeter has symbols like v~...and where do I touch leads. I read about open and shorted don't know what it means...anyhow thanks for patience I'm trying to learn here so at least I know what's happening.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

the DVA adapter is for reading DC peak voltage output from the coils while the motor is turning to see what voltage they put out.
V- should be the DC setting
v~ would be AC
Ohms readings do not require the DVA adapter just the DMV meter with its own leads

cireg24

Cadet

Ok so I checked stator and trigger they both seem to have voltage....my question is the voltage over 1000v using dva? I'm going to use a better meter cause the one I got I think is not good enough. Also how do I test wires going into rectifier as far as input wires and rectifier being good and output being good? Once again thanks to the answers?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

cireg24

Cadet

Ok so i started motor changed stator and control unit that all the wires plug into with the screws one of the two was bad....I had all from a bad motor i bought with originally. SO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOU R HELP. I wanted to post this as a help for anyone in the future who can learn from what i learned from.
1. Any spark electrical issues will be impossible to diagnose for a rookie like myself without the correct multimeter. A cheap one will work if you get lucky or you know exactly what your doing. I didnt I had a dva adapter and the numbers were still all over the place. None of my numbers matched what it was supposed to be.
The solution buy one from here, borrow or craigslist got a ton for under 100. I saw some flukes. Get one that is auto ranging digital. Once again this is for rookies just to pass on advice.

2. Get a remote starter switch under 20 most places.

So now i got the motor started but i didnt see any water flow. so i stopped it will post this under new thread. God bless you guys that love to help people like myself. NO ELECTRICAL TESTING EXPERIENCE ON OUTBOARDS HAVENT TOUCHED AN OUTBOARD IN 20 YEARS AND LOOK AT WHAT YOU GUYS DID...YOU SHOULD ALL BE GIVEN A 12 PACK!
(please read my new issue with water flow)