1985 Yamaha 25hp tiller

Jonathan H

Recruit
Recently purchased this motor and am wondering how to shut the motor off. The guy I bought it from said to pull the tether to shut off the motor. To me that seems like I may wear out the stop/kill switch. Wondering if on this model do I just push in the red button or do I pull the tether?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1985 Yamaha 25hp tiller

In most Yams the kill switch works two ways. If the lanyard is pulled the motor will stop. If the lanyard button is pressed in it will kill the motor. Either way the switch is making contact internally to apply a ground to the motor.

If it wears out it wears out. That is the nature of stuff.

Last edited:

limitout

Banned
Re: 1985 Yamaha 25hp tiller

no you don't want to be pulling the lanyard, it will wear out and cause issues or leave you stranded when it does. imagine trying to hold the button out with your finger tips while you start the engine, put it in gear and drive back to the launch all without ever letting go of it lol.

push the button in to kill the engine and leave the lanyard alone to do its job only when needed.

there should be a spare lanyard clip on the tiller (clipped onto a little button) but maybe not if he wore it out and already used it. make sure you have that spare clip in case yours ever breaks and if its gone then buy two and replace them both for reliable and trouble free boating.

Last edited: