skeg repair

cdy1955

Recruit
Does Any One Know Where I can get A Skeg replaced On A Yamaha In Northern Indiana Or Southwest michigan

da_q-ban_one

Seaman Apprentice
Re: skeg repair

Hello, I would like to know what i should do about my (newer 2010-2012) Suzuki DF2.5? I purchased online and upon receiving in the mail yesterday I found that it incurred some damage while in transit. Luckily seller covered and insured the shipping. It was a bummer, as this is my first lil outboard (for a small inflatable boat), that I was so happy to be able to purchase (at such a great price imo); however, I know it can be fixed. So here is what happened.

About 1.75" to 2.25" of the tip of the skeg was broken/snapped off during transit. I can tell it must have been dropped or set down hard, as you can see two holes punched in the box, as well as a slight bend or curve on the ~2" 'chip' that was itself chipped. So, what I think happened was, it was dropped/set down hard once, and thus the tip of the sket became slightly bent and incurred a <1cm chip on it. Then there must have been a second and possibly third time that it was dropped/set down, and this finally caused the chipped tip to break off and become an ~2" chip itself (hopefully I've detailed this enough and not further confused anyone). See pic below...

'zuki_skeg.jpg

So my questions are: What is the best fix for this, have a local alum welder attempt to straighten the 2" piece, or build me a whole new one? And what should I hope to pay for this ( I was told to perform the repair, and then proceed with the claim to have the repair cost(s) reimbursed by USPS)? Has anyone ever had to deal wit USPS on any type of claim of this nature?

Thanks you all in advance!!!

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: skeg repair

looks like you need a new lower unit or at least the housing.
Paid for by the shipping comp

Take it to a Suzuki dealer to have the work done right