Carb Inlet broken on DT75 1987

joshvette001

Cadet
Engine Year - 1987
Engine Model - Suzuki DT75
Serial - 07501-7077**
Carb in question - 3rd carb at the bottom

Problem - I being the idiot I am dropped the carb the wrong way on my workbench. The black plastic Carb Fuel inlet on the third bottom carb broke. The inlet that broke off is the main fuel one that takes the fuel from the pump to the other carbs. It is a Y shaped inlet that seems to be impossible to remove.

Question - Does anyone know of good places to find used suzuki parts. I have checked ebay, brownspoint, and other misc vendors online. I have sent requests to suzuki and others seeing if I can track down a used carb. So far I have turned up some carbs from older models but I don't believe they are interchangeable.

Any idea on if its possible to fix a broken fuel inlet? Can the carb itself be machined out and then a metal replcement screwed in somehow? If possible who would be able to make the actual inlet piece itself.

Thanks for any help you can give.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Carb Inlet broken on DT75 1987

Can you post a pic ... there is always a way around it, but need to see what exactly you talking about ...

joshvette001

Cadet

deejay thanks for responding. Attached is a picture showing how it snapped. I can't seem to find the other plastic piece so trying to epoxy it back in place is a bit impossible lol
IMAG0057.jpg

Hopefully you have a idea because everything I have thought of seems to not be such a good idea.

Thanks for responding.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

oo damn that is a bad one .... personally what I would do is try and get it out completely drill out the remaining piece and get a new piece 3D printed ....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I would try to drill and tap if you can find a fitting that would work.
Do not think you will find a exact replacement, but might be able to rig a tee and other fittings to work

joshvette001

Cadet

oo damn that is a bad one .... personally what I would do is try and get it out completely drill out the remaining piece and get a new piece 3D printed ....

Deejay not a bad idea actually. I am wondering I have a friend with a 3d printer I could design the new part and then 3d print it. Question is though HDPE plastic isn't able to really be 3d printer so it would have to be printed using a ABL Plastic or something... Any idea if there is a epoxy that I could coat the inside of the ABL plastic part with to make it withstand the gasoline?

I am wondering if I get ahold of Suzuki if I could manage to get them to send me the actual schematic of the Carb so I can see how the plastic is exactly installed into the carb. I am wondering if they have the blue prints for the carb if I could possibly use them to get a new part made by a 3rd party company if they can't source me a new one?

I am going to look for a good drill and tap set as I have never purchased one. I have used one before just never owned one myself.

Thanks for your replies guys... if anyone else has any ideas let me know

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I agree with 99Yam, drill out and tap it and get copper fitting they use for propane fittings ... you can custom make it easily

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

copper and aluminum do not get along real well,
just my thoughts

joshvette001

Cadet

I just wanted to post a update and solution for anybody that does have this issue with their Suzuki. I found a older model carb that was on a DT75 Specifically the 1984-1986 model I believe. I have a 1987 Suzuki DT75. According to both Brownspoint and Suzuki the carbs are not interchangeable... They are correct in the sense that you can't just swap it out easily. I took the plunge anyways and purchased a set of 3 carbs off of ebay for about 140 bucks.

What you have to do to get the old carb body to work is completely remove all of the internals and the choke/throttle assembly. There are bolts on the side where you remove them and then you must take out the smaller screws inside of the carb to release the brass plates. You can then slide all of the internals out so all you have is the body of the carb left. You can then install the correct parts (from the broken carb) into the older model carb and everything works. I just ran the engine/boat yesterday and had ZERO issues after getting it going. Keep in mind this Suzuki sat for over 10 years without really ever being started.

SO it is possible to use the year olders carbs on the DT75 you just have to swap out all of the internals. and choke/throttle assemblies. I actually like the older carbs better because they have metal fuel inlets instead of this cheap plastic crap.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

just a thought , if you remove the screws holding the butterfly plates to the throttle shaft, and reinstall them, make sure you use some thing to keep them from backing out and getting sucked into the motor

robert graham

Admiral

You could plug the hole with epoxy and then cut/install a plastic "T" into the existing rubber fuel line, running the new line to the other carb....that could work!....