Replaced pump on tilt/trim on Yamaha 150 VMax, need more help

hunt1moore

Cadet
1999 Yamaha VMax TLRX.
Had problems with tilt trim so I started searching around and determined that it was the pump. I replaced it yesterday and performed the grueling oil-fill proceedure of opening the relief valve and raising/lowering the motor while adding oil to the resevoir until it would no longer take oil. At this point I decided to test the unit to see if it would actuate the pistons. When I trimmed it up, it would barely lift the motor and never could get it to move more than a couple of inches. When I took my finger off of the switch the lower unit would just slowly come back down.
I'm going to remove the tilt/trim unit again and check it out but really don't know what to look for except the check valves between the pump and the main unit? I'm pretty sure I installed them correctly.
I should also note that after the resevoir was full and I closed the relief valve it would not support the motor. It would just slowly fall back. I may be wrong but if the relief valve is working properly and I close it off, it should support the motor?

Last edited:

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Replaced pump on tilt/trim on Yamaha 150 VMax, need more help

You messed with the check valves? That is a BIG NO NO. So either your problem is incorrectly installed check valves or bad release valve.

hunt1moore

Cadet

You messed with the check valves? That is a BIG NO NO. So either your problem is incorrectly installed check valves or bad release valve.

Unfortunately, in order to replace the pump you have to seperate it from the main body. There are a couple of check valves between the two parts and one has to be re-used so yes, I did mess with them.
I took it apart again and inspected them and they were installed properly and in working order. I'm leaning toward the release valve at this point. Getting ready to throw money at it again.

hunt1moore

Cadet

Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest here regarding the tilt/trim.

Regarding the manual release valve/screw, It looks like just a tapered/stepped bolt with o-rings and end seal.The end seal is not available as a replacement part but the o-rings are. The whole assembly is over $100.
Does anyone here have any knowlege regarding the mechanics of this "bolt"? Is it just a bolt ,or is there something that can go bad internally? I'm at a loss of why this seemingly simple bolt is over $100?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest here regarding the tilt/trim.

Regarding the manual release valve/screw, It looks like just a tapered/stepped bolt with o-rings and end seal.The end seal is not available as a replacement part but the o-rings are. The whole assembly is over $100.
Does anyone here have any knowlege regarding the mechanics of this "bolt"? Is it just a bolt ,or is there something that can go bad internally? I'm at a loss of why this seemingly simple bolt is over $100?

Sorry , I have no real idea about the bolt,
but I think most people have problems with the motors not the pump so very few replace the pump.
Probably why not many responses

Capt Ken

Commander

I've changed a lot of Yamaha trim motors and have yet to see one that you had to remove the pump. I was going to check my breakdown at the shop today to be sure but got busy. As for the release screw, Yamaha is into selling assemblies and not pieces and parts.

Capt Ken

Commander

Just checked and seen what you did. You removed the complete pump assembly from the side of the rams rather than just removing the four screws and removing the trim motor from the top. That unit is the same as the OMC Fast Trax tilt. Like I said, never seen a Yamaha system that you had to remove the pump to remove the motor.

hunt1moore

Cadet

Just checked and seen what you did. You removed the complete pump assembly from the side of the rams rather than just removing the four screws and removing the trim motor from the top. That unit is the same as the OMC Fast Trax tilt. Like I said, never seen a Yamaha system that you had to remove the pump to remove the motor.

I replaced the PUMP.
Anyway, I'm now having a problem with the manual release valve or a check valve. Waiting for o-rings now to replace the two that are on the release valve. If that doesn't fix it then I will be asking more questions. Hopefully, someone here can help answer my last question regarding the "bolt"