2002 Yamaha F2.5--customer is coming in morning-please help

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't seem to get this thing to run right. It's smoking badly and throttle response is about none. From Idle to wide open, the RPMS only change about 2-300 higher. I've cleaned the carb twice to near spotless, and replaced the spark plug. It starts and idles perfect but the throttle doesn't do hardly anything. At WOT, it sounds nearly the same as at idle, all while the exhaust is blue and clouds plume from my running barrel.

I can clean the plug off as it gets carboned up rather quickly. Within 5 minutes of running, it is pretty much dead. Cleaned the plug over and over, same results. Runs a bit better for 30 seconds, and back to the same.

I also changed the oil as I thought someone may have put too much in. Nope. Let it sit overnight to let oil drain out of cylinder, nope--same. He said it sat unused for many years, and looks like it has very few hours.

Think it's something in the cam/valves?

I'm stumped. I'm no rookie but thought this was a very odd scenario. I've fixed/rebuilt etc numerous motors and took this "little" job as he said just a carb cleaning...yeah right.

Customer is supposed to pick up in the morning!

Thanks all