2008 Yamaha 8hp 4 stroke fuel delivery problem

Malamuteman

Recruit
Hello,

I have a Yamaha 8hp 4 stroke kicker motor that has a fuel delivery problem. I pump the ball on the gas line pointing upward until it gets hard. The motor runs great for about 10 minutes until it runs out of fuel in the gas line and then the engine dies. I pump the ball up repeatedly to continue but the same problem persists. I replaced the entire gas line and the water separator, serviced the engine and the problem still continues. My Yamaha 115hp engine runs fine with a fuel line exiting the same water separator. I am thinking it may be the gas tank but I am not sure. I heard the Yamaha 8hp 4 stroke kicker motor does not have a fuel pump but I am not sure about that either. The boat is a 20 foot North River Seahawk. Anybody have any ideas what is wrong? This is seriously affecting my fishing serenity. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:mad:

Thanks,

Kevin from Gladstone

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2008 Yamaha 8hp 4 stroke fuel delivery problem

The 8 HP does have a fuel pump, its located just below where you fill it up with oil, that silver box. Check your oil and see if there is any fuel in it. My fuel pump went (motor was running fine though) and was peeing gas into the crankcase via the plunger valve on the fuel pump. You can buy parts for the fuel pump but its almost cheaper just to buy a new fuel pump and put it on, a half hour job. If you take the fuel line off the motor and push the little plunger in with a screwdriver, give the bulb a pump and see if gas is coming out, just to eliminate the bulb itself. It could also be a stuck float inside the carb, I had some grit in the needle valve of mine and it ran crappy so took the carb off and cleaned it inside and out, simple to take off as well and maintenance....Sherm