87 Yamaha PRO 50 Lighting coil test..

CrazyRedncK

Recruit
I just bought a bass tracker with a 87 yamaha pro 50 for dirt cheap.The guy I bought it from somehow hooked up the battery backwards and fried all the grounds and melted into a couple of other wires in the engine compartment.After about 3 hours of rewiring I started it up and runs great..except it does not charge the battery.I pulled an tested the regulator/rectifier with a meter per the manual and tests good.Next I checked the lighting coil which read 0 volts AC running and 0 ohms between the green wires after I pulled it from the motor which it should be @ 0.287 ohms resistance +\-10%.
What has me scratching my head is that if the lighting coil is bad how is my tach still working? Maybe I'm not testing it correctly. None of the electrical parts are cheap so I'm trying to positively identify the problem before I spend a bunch of money on it..any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 87 Yamaha PRO 50 Lighting coil test..

I thought the service manual calls for peak voltage reading on the DC scale, need a special meter or DVA adapter with regular meter.

Make sure your ohm meter is functioning properly as 0 ohms means a dead short and if there is not voltage out then I would say it is toast

Last edited: