2000 Yamaha 40 starting and now running problem

TFKjones

Cadet
I hope this is an easy question for experienced outboard users.

I have a 2000 Yamaha 40 (40TLRY) that I use on the weekends. The first time that I start it after it sits from M-F, it takes a lot of cranking to get it going. The rest of the weekend, it starts right up.

Last weekend, it stopped running (as if it were out of gas, but it wasn't) while on the lake and took a while to restart.

Now that it's finally warm in Minnesota, I'd like to make the most of the next few weekends before I take it out for the winter.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2000 Yamaha 40 starting and now running problem

And your question is ??????

Sounds like your prime start system is not functioning properly or you have the red lever not in the normal position.

Check fuel pump pressure/vacuum and look for sucking air into supply
Possible vent closed on tank or some other restriction
You do not give much info to go on, so you or someone else will have to do some testing

TFKjones

Cadet

Thanks, 99yam40, that helps a lot.

I didn't know about the prime start system. I'll look at that and the fuel pump this weekend.

TFKjones

Cadet

Thanks for the tip to look at the tank end of the fuel system. I replaced the fuel hose and it started within 5 cranks, even after sitting for these weeks (and immediately for the rest of the weekend).

I probably could have replaced the fittings on the old hose, but the new (non-perm) material used for the primer bulb is so much easier to squeeze that it's worth it.

Vin O'Grady

Recruit
I have a 4stroke 40horse Yamaha engine that starts perfectly but won't go forward or reverse any ideas?

TFKjones

Cadet
I would make sure that the lower unit gear oil is good (it should be changed every year - if it's been neglected, it's no longer lubricating). I'm not sure of the linkages between the engine and the prop - it seems unlikely that they would break without your noticing, but I'm a geologist, not a mechanic. I would check a repair manual (from your library or buy one online). You might also want to start a new thread to get more (and better) replies.