1998 Yamaha OX66 L225TXRW Weak Spark

davidzima

Seaman Apprentice
Background: I had my Tilt/Trim relay/selinoid start to go bad. It would not work after motor warmed up. I couldn't remove it because the two bolts that hold it wouldnt come out so I thought I would take the selenoid apart and clean contacts inside. I must have put something back together wrong cause when I hooked it back up and switched the battery on I got smoke. Quickly turned battery off. I removed selenoid by cutting the back of the plastic mounting bolt holders and installed a new selenoid tilt/trim works now.

Problem: won't start. Good battery, fuel pump working good pressure at schrader valve. I have a weak spark on all plugs (tested at night and its not bright & blue, but weak and yellow.

What did I do? What could I have done when I tried to fix selenoid? Fuses are in tact. I was thinking bad ground, but I looked and couldn't find any wires thy I might have burned up.

Thanks,
David

davidzima

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1998 Yamaha OX66 L225TXRW Weak Spark

Update...
Was able to start on muffs, and I thought all was good. Now I have a puddle of oil/gas on ground. So spark is enough to start on muffs, but not enough to burn all the fuel it's getting. Spark on all cylinders, just weak.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1998 Yamaha OX66 L225TXRW Weak Spark

Could be what you are seeing hitting ground is what was not burned when you could not get it to fire off before