75 hp Yamaha Stalls when slowing to nuetral

esmatko

Recruit
My 75 hp Yamaha outboard will stall out when slowing to neutral. Starts fine, runs fine just lately started shutting down when going in to dock. Any help would be appreciated....Thanks

MAC ATTACK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 75 hp Yamaha Stalls when slowing to nuetral

Been working on my 90 lately and have had to rebuild the carbs (clogged jets) and replace fuel pump. Fuel pumps rarely go out all at once, but start giving tell-tale signs. They are not expensive and easy to change, if even to eliminate the issue.

Check the filter beside the pump, mine had bits of black (surely hose bits from ethanol degradation)

If you do not have a water separating filter, install one. Usually recommend a 10 micron filter.

If you have an electrothermal valve (you did not say what year) check it for proper operation. It is an electric solenoid on the center carb. It feeds extra gas for priming/start up, and if not operating properly could be giving you a rich condition at low throttle.

Look for any loose fuel lines etc. You can also pull the plugs to look for a lean or rich condition.

Check plugs or replace.

esmatko

Recruit
Re: 75 hp Yamaha Stalls when slowing to nuetral

Thanks for the info. I will troubleshoot this weekend. I would hope it is nothing serious. It is a 2007 with only approx. 140 hours....Thanks Again