2007 Yamaha F225TXR issues on Key West 2300WA

davepjr71

Cadet
When I bought my boat used in 2011 I took it out and ran it at WOT to see what the top speed was. I was getting around 34 MPH and felt that seemed slow. So, I did some research and called a few places and was told the top speed should be somewhere over 40 for that motor on my boat. I did some research on props and thought the prop was the issue and I was getting prop slip. So, I put a larger 15X 19 SSW series on and raised the motor 1 hole and was getting 38MPH. During that time though I contacted Key West and they stated I needed to drop the motor back down to where it was. So, I dropped it down and was back down to 34mph at the end of last year with the SSW.

I had a Yamaha mechanic adjust my throttle thinking that could be part of the problem. However, that didn't seem to remedy it.

Since that time though it seems as if my speed keeps dropping. With a clean bottom I can barely get to 26 MPH. My wife even said my motor sounds like it's struggling. So, on to more research and see people talking about clogged screens inside the motor.

Could it be possible that one of the screens on the VST is clogged? The motor has 450 hrs on it. 350 or so when I bought it.