Suzuki DT55 limp mode? Low RPM's

Big_worm81

Seaman
Hello again. The timing wasn't off ... The timing light had an adjustable knob which I had bumped and was causing an incorrect reading. Busy spring/summer. Baby # 3 arrived a few weeks ago. In preparation for the baby I decided to shed a little grief and I dropped my boat off to Marsh's Marina in Waubaushene. What a disaster. I walk into the place and say "hello, how are you?" I'm greeted by "oh you know, living the dream". They had the boat on June 24 and after almost three weeks hadn't touched it. Eventually after me hounding them they backed it into the ramp and tried to run it. They were able to get it to run at about 2800 RPM by working the choke. They re-cleaned the carbs and that made no difference. They tell me that they are going to pull the flywheel and check out the electrical side of things. I drop in to check on the boat and find the staff rigging out a new pontoon boat for a customer. Also find out that no one has touched it since carb rebuild. In fact it has been dragged out to the "back-40" of their storage lot, left with my newly refurbished and rewired center console UNCOVERED (brand new sunbrella cover sitting in bow). Here's the best part, I had given them my spare CDI and spark plug coils in a zip lock bag, they left the bag out and open to the elements. Spare CDI floating in water in the zip lock bag. Pretty sure those are about $1,000 to replace. I went home, and called the marina to complain about how my boat was left. Left a message with who I'm sure was "living the dream" to have manager call me. Two a days pass and no return call so I call back on Friday. He apologized and says he knew the boat was left uncovered but no one told him about the CDI, no explanation as to why he didn't call me back. Monday I drop in on way home from marina, find the boat hasn't moved yet again. I hitch up and pull it back to the service building ... Go looking for manager. He's on lunch ... Fair enough everyone has to eat. I find an older gentlemen walking about wearing a suzuki hat and tell him "my boat has been here for 5 weeks less a day and I'm taking it because I'm don't want to wait anymore". He see's the boat on my van and assures me they have hours and hours invested into trouble shooting the issue. He says with the center spark plug removed it doesn't change how the motor runs so there is no spark or not a hot enough spark getting to that cylinder. He even said "we're not making any money" which I assume means if it takes too long to find the issue, they give up? I don't know. He was visibly annoyed with me as I'm sure people got in trouble for leaving my boat in such a state. Anyway I asked him to have the marina manager call me and I drove away. It's been two days and no one has called me. Final thoughts. No one was ever rude to me, but they have unprofessional staff for sure. Communication with customers is horrible. They should be servicing customers boats in the order they are dropped off (to a certain extent). This was clearly not the case. They will continue to sell new equipment and leave old boats for repair untouched all summer, I am convinced of this. They have no regard for customers property. The CDI? I know enough to leave this alone because he would never buy me another one. I'll only press the issue if I get a bill in the mail. Won't be returning there or recommending them to anyone. So ... Where too from here? Maybe I have a failing #2 ignition timing coil? Capacitor charge coil? The timing light shows spark on each wire, or it did when I tried it two months ago. Thoughts? Recommendations? I have this 1991 DT65 parts motor sitting in my garage. I've already looked at the parts compatibility for under the flywheel, some stuff is interchangeable.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
OK, so you spend all this time rebuilding an engine that is not worth rebuilding, buy all your parts on-line and when the engine still does not run right, you bring it to your local dealer, expecting them to get right on it during the busy summer months?

Big_worm81

Seaman
Well, I took the measurements and found that it was worth rebuilding. I bought all my parts online from Browns Point Marina, who (correct me if I'm wrong) is a dealer of genuine Suzuki parts. Honestly I didn't know what to expect when I dropped it off for them to look at which is why I asked them when I would hear from them. I believe I asked "a day, a week, a month?" I was told I would hear from them the next week. I was leaning towards thinking I had an electrical gremlin and thought a large Suzuki dealer would have the means to quickly and efficiently trouble shoot the engine. I guess not. Anyway, I'm over it and am trying to move onwards and upwards. Do you have any constructive thoughts for me?

Big_worm81

Seaman
I would like to try swapping out the #2 ignition timing coil with the one from my parts motor. The 55 part no. is 32170-94710 and the 65 part no. is 32140-94710. These parts look identical. Does anyone know if there is an actual difference? I'm also toying with swapping everything out with the parts motor (magneto case, charge coil, timing coils, capacitor charge coil, flywheel) and give that a try. Thoughts?