Yamaha 70 horse bogging down help!

ericspants87

Recruit
So, I inherited a 1988 16 foot Wahoo with a 1996 yamaha 70 horse 2 stroke (70TLRU) and I've got it running pretty good with one exception, It bogs down only when the motor is nice and hot AND only when I come down off plane. So as long as I start it up and don't idle for too long and get up on plane it will stay up on plane and not bog down for as long as I keep it up but as soon as I come down and the engine is warmed up it and i try to bring it back up it will bog down at around 2000 rpm.

I have cleaned the carbs out VERY thoroughly for 2 weekends in a row, put in new plugs, drained the old oil out and added some new 2 stroke oil, treated the fuel with some seafoam, installed a water separator filter, ran a small portion of new fuel hose and new priming bulb AND its still doing it.

I'm lost on what else to try on this motor.

Any ideas?

Thanks In advance Guys!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha 70 horse bogging down help!

You've already done what I would suggest. But did you properly adjust your carburetors?

You may just need to slightly turn the idle adjustment screws clockwise until the hesitation disappears.

ericspants87

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 70 horse bogging down help!

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I adjusted properly or not.
What do you mean by when the hesitation disappears?
As in the throttle response? As in raising the idle until it responds quicker to throttling up?