1998 Suzuki 25HP starting and running problems

Hunter_1987

Cadet
I have a 98 25hp Suzuki that i'm having trouble with. When the engines cold it takes quite a while to start, almost runs battery down before it will run. I have choke pulled out while turning over but nothing helps. When it does start it idles real rough and smokes worse than ive seen most 2strokes while running. It runs great top end with no miss but when I return it to an idle it goes back to running rough, sometimes dies. It always starts back quick when engine is warm. I'm stumped on it, any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Things I have done- pulled all 3 carbs off and cleaned bowls and jets, checked compression on all 3 cyl- 110 on all, new NGK plugs, spark is good on all, new fuel filter and line, has new gas tank, also adjusted on the 2 idle air jets with no change. I was told that the Suzuki 3cyl always idles real rough but I have never had experience with them. Thanks in advance for any help..

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: 1998 Suzuki 25HP starting and running problems

The air/fuel mixture screws must be set at 1 & 1/2 turns outwards from soft stop ... did you soak the carbs in carb cleaner over night and blow out with compressed air? The spark plug gap good?

Hunter_1987

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I didn't soak the carbs over night but I did remove the jets and bowls and cleaned them plus blew them out and the plug gap is good. I started the air screws at 1 turn out and adjusted them from there with not much change. Is the floats adjustable? If so how would I adjust them and could that be my problem?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

yes you can adjust the float, have a look at the plate that pivot the float and make sure they not bent at all, or have a look how they sit in the bowl, if you think they need adjusting you can bend it a little .... but come to think of it last lime my old 30hp suz did this I had to replace the crank seals .... i haven't done this in so long, very rusty at the moment

Hunter_1987

Cadet

Ok thanks, I will check the floats. Is there a way to check\diagnose the crank seals? I hope its not that but I guess you never know till you check. One more thing I was wandering about was the oil injection system, since it smokes so bad at idle I was thinking it might be putting to much oil in while at idle but its just a thought. Also, can you put the water hose muffs on these motors and run them? Reason Im asking is I put the mufffs on mine and I couldn't get the water to come out the water port when running. I put the engine in a tub of water and as soon as it fired up water was coming out at a good stream, faster when I idled it up so I know the impeller is working good, just don't know why it wont work with the muffs on. Thanks again for the help, your the only one ive talked to that has any experience with these motors..