Coolling problem on a Suzuki DT115

Status
Not open for further replies.

caga

Cadet
My first post unfortunately starts with asking for help, sorry about that, but on the other hand I can say that after reading the forum topics I believe that I am close to an answer.
So, the story is like this, I got a 1993 Vanguard Phantom with a Suzuki DT115 outboard and there is a cooling problem since no water is coming out of the pilot hole. I am an ABSOLUTE NEWB at this, but after watching a video about the impeller replacing procedure I decided to try it and see what gives, so I dropped the lower unit, inspected the water pump, and everything is perfect there, soft blades, good gaskets, as brand new.
Then I put water into the outlet pipe of the water pump and there is a lot of water coming out of the exhaust and just slowly making its way to the thermostat (which I also removed), so basically the whole cooling is bypassed through that leak. When I purchased the boat I have noticed that the water is coming out of the propeller housing, but I did not have a clue what that meant and the seller was pushing to close the deal (which was not bad, only $2900 for the whole thing).
I just consider myself lucky to not have put the boat in the water, I would have blown the engine in no time. The motor is otherwise very strong, I was really looking forward to have some fun:blue:embarassed::.
If you could help, please do so, I really have to fix this thing before the end of the week, I have family coming to visit and this was one of the activities planned for the next month.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Coolling problem on a Suzuki DT115

As long as there is a strong flow of water coming out the exhaust it should be fine .... but what you should do is wiggle a thin wire in the pilot hole while motor is running on the hose, sometimes bugs die in there ... you can also try blowing compressed air into the thermostat passage and if push comes to shove remove the side plate on the block, I find alot of salt buildup sits there ...

caga

Cadet

thanks for responding, I did do the wire thing, no obstructions. My fear is that there is no water whatsoever passing through the motor cooling and everything gets dumped right at the pump into the exhaust. I did order the seal that separates the exhaust from the cooling circuit, it must be blown. I should have checked it first I guess, but as I said, with the thermostat out, no water reaches the top of the engine and that is the last point in the cooling circuit.
Anybody has any idea where I can get the tilt/trim pump, I think that this is what it is called, has 4 ports. The guy I bought the boat from said that it has been stolen, should only cost $200 and I believed him:confused:, what a sucker I am.

caga

Cadet

OK, so I replaced the gasket and I see no improvement, same deal.
My question is, what is the direction of the motor shaft rotation? Clockwise or CCW? Right now the impeller is set for CCW, could this be the problem? I got no water whatsoever and the impeller is brand new.
Maybe I should just shut off the secondary water intake? The lower unit is huge, does not fit in a muck bucket, I will buy some rectangular bucket I guess and try again, or just tape shut off the secondary and use the muffs.
Hurts to be a NEWB, but I always wanted to have a boat

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

You will not get any water pressure with the secondary intake open sucking air...has to be submerged into a tank or the water...I can tell you that the therms in my 225 were installed backwards and I would have installed them the same had I not had a parts book downloaded shown the correct way...for me the spring goes into the head and not the block like they were.. I put the boat in the water and had a great stream now coming out...these are different animals then the merc's I am used to..Check your therms and put the boat in the water and let us know your outcome

newt5005

Seaman

I use one of those 4.99 storage bins from wally-world for running my Suzuki DT-75 in. It doesn't seem to like the muffs like the merc's. I set it on a couple of wood blocks to get the bottom of the tub up to the skeg and leave the hose running. The water level ends up coming to well over the cav. plate.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

my suzuki didn't like muffs either.get suzuki manual if your going to work on it.Im an ase master auto tech my suzuki dt75 was my first boat motor, i learned alot from the factory manual. no clymer, order it from suzuki or find it on ebay

majnolo

Recruit
Hello caga
i have exactly the same issue - no water to the thermostat. I dropped the bottom end and put a hose in the tube - water everywhere but not at the tstat. I put water in the tstat hole and it comes out the bottom. So I pulled the tube that the water pump feeds and it was destroyed. Crazy. All I can figure is that there was water in it over the winter and it froze?? Anyway I stuck the hose up that hole and water was coming out all over again, even the telltale, but not at the tstat. Did you ever solve the problem? Sounds like my issue - I am worried the block is cracked or something??

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hello caga
i have exactly the same issue - no water to the thermostat. I dropped the bottom end and put a hose in the tube - water everywhere but not at the tstat. I put water in the tstat hole and it comes out the bottom. So I pulled the tube that the water pump feeds and it was destroyed. Crazy. All I can figure is that there was water in it over the winter and it froze?? Anyway I stuck the hose up that hole and water was coming out all over again, even the telltale, but not at the tstat. Did you ever solve the problem? Sounds like my issue - I am worried the block is cracked or something??

majnolo The OP no longer visits the forum, so it's doubtful you will hear from him. Please read the Help Tip on top of the page and start your own thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.