SUZUKI 9.9 OVERHEAT (someone help me)

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
Hi. I have a new to me 1988 suzuki 9.9 outboard. i tried running it in a test barrel and wasn't getting much of any flow out of the telltale. I dropped the lower unit and replaced the water pump impeller and base plate. I check to make sure there were no obstructions in the water tube as well as in the telltale. everything was ok there. I removed the thermostat and checked the opening temperature and it was fine (i confirmed the thermostat opened in boiling water. I tried running it with the thermostat out and was getting exhaust fumes out of the thermostat cavity but no water flow. after putting the new impeller in I would get a little water from the telltale but it was intermittant (and only seemed like I would see some water coming out of there after revving the motor). The engine block gets super hot to where I can't even touch it. I was seeing steam coming out of the telltale. I don't know where to go from here, someone please help me. thanks

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: SUZUKI 9.9 OVERHEAT (someone help me)

I'd think there was some obstruction in there yet. Was the old impeller intact? Or did pcs get up there? Somethings plugged someplace.
Grub

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

All water pump blades were intact. No salt water use for this motor. I applied pressure from my air compressor hose to the bottom of the water pipe (I blew air from the bottom where it goes into the top of the water pump) I also blew air in the hole behind the thermostat (after removing the thermostat), everything seemed to be open with no obstructions. The symptoms were identical before and after the water pump replacement.

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

ok, so I just ran it with the thermostat removed from the housing and it started pumping water fine. I then put the thermostat back in and it is pumping even stronger than before I took it out. I am running it on garden hose pressure through a under cavitation plate water hookup. the other times I ran it in a bucket. I will run it again in a bucket and see if it still works fine. I don't know what the difference here is. Any ideas?

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

I just ran it in a barrel and it went back to not peeing from the telltale and no strong water flow from the exhaust relief hole near the top of the midsection (both of which showed a ton of flow when hooked up to the garden hose.) when the thermostat was out I ran water through the opening of the thermostat cavity and water came out with plenty of flow from the exhaust relief and the telltale. I can't figure out what is wrong. Running it in the barrel would be the same as running it sitting still in a body of water and certainly something is amiss as the engine temp gets super hot when this is happening. (on a side note, the engine when running on the garden hose was cool enough after running for 15 minutes that i could keep my hand on the engine block no problem, come on guys and girls I am looking for answers if you have them.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Did you install the impellar with the blades pushing in the right direction? I would test the motor under load ....

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

yes I did, as I said pumps fine on garden hose pressure, doesnt pump when in barrel. Any ideas?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I would remove the side plate on the block and have a look for anything stuck in there ... otherwise test it under load and see what happens ....