115 yamaha 2stroke bogging down

Eddie Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1998 115 Yam 2stroke. Had some bad gas. Got that all out . changed plugs ,and had it running I thought well.
Took it bout today to give it a run. At first ran very well ,after about fifteen minutes . It started bogging down .it seems to idle well and dose good at low RPM / speed. When you go to get her on plane she bogs down.
Looked for water in the fuel,didn't find any? I did notice that the primer bulb dose not stay hard . But if you pump it it dose not seem to make much difference. Looked at the new plugs,they looked okay.
I am sure that I will need to take apart and clean the carbs? Probably rebuild them while they are out? Sound about right? Or am I missing something else too?
Thanks for any advice or help.
Eddie

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 115 yamaha 2stroke bogging down

all the lines, pump, and carbs have stuff in them from the bad gas and need to be flushed and cleaned would be my guess

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a similar problem at the beggining of the summer. I kept finding black specs in my fuel filter and my engine would bog down at 3/4 to full throttle. I continued to dump the debris from the filter until it stopped showing up. I also ran Yamalube Ring Free Plus at a rate of 1 ounce for every 2 gallons of gas in my next full tank of gas. After that I backed off to the normal ring free dosage and changed my fuel filter. That worked for me. I have no idea if that is proper procedure, but it made sense to me and my engine has been running great since then.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The 90/10 gasoline is giving marine mechanics a lot of work. The trick is to keep fresh gas in your boat, and treat any gasoline that's not going to be used in 2 weeks. It's really unhealthy on your fuel pump which has a rubber membrane.

The carburetors on your boat virtually never need rebuilding. If you're careful in disassembly, you can clean them and only be out $3 for a can of carburetor cleaner. I'm not a mechanic, but I can remove, clean, reassembly and re-install a pair of 115 hp carbs. in just over an hour. I do have a shop manual for a backup info, however.

I would suggest cleaning the carbs, install a new fuel pump membrane, install a new fuel filter (under the carbs.) and check the end of the fuel siphon tube in your gas tank to see if there are any stoppages.

Eddie Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the help.
One more question ? Should the primer bulb stay firm ,or is okay for it to get soft as long as it dose not collapse ?
I seem to have a fuel flow issue? I know,probably junk in the lines. But the gas looks pretty clean?
Should the water separator/filter on the engine stay filled to the top? Mind drops to about midway when I run idle it?
I know, that was more than one question. My bad.
Eddie