Yamaha V76 225 stalls when throttle applied

networker

Cadet
'96 Yamaha V76 225 outboard, 2 cycle with carburetors
Starts OK, idles OK, but stalls completely when any amount of throttle is applied.

Here's what I have done so far:
  1. Pumped out fuel from tank and put in fresh 93 octane
  2. Replaced water separator
  3. Checked main fuel filter
  4. Replaced spark plugs
  5. Replaced all three vacuum fuel pumps
  6. Rebuilt carburetors, found 2 main jets and 2 pilot jets clogged

I had a Yamaha shop find and repair the clogged carburetors. The mechanic then tested it on a hose and in the water and found it had good throttle response. I took it home and launched it and it quit with same symptoms as before not more than 30 feet from the dock. Took it back to the shop and we took it to the ramp and it worked fine. We tested it for about 15 minutes without issue. The boat stayed on the trailer throughout the test. When we first started it, it smoked a lot and the mechanic commended that is was pretty "loaded up" so I'm thinking it's flooding intermittently.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it might have something to do with the enrichment system so I'm thinking of replacing the fuel pressure regulator. The electric fuel pump seems to be working OK. I'm also wondering about the t-stats or temp sensor. Can the temp sensor be tested with just a volt meter? I've also just ordered a winky dinky and wonder how that might help with the diagnosis.

Thanks, in advance for any insight into this very frustrating problem.