Injector Screen???

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I think I've narrowed down my "missing cylinder" problem, eliminated the spark plugs and am now looking at a plugged injector. The injector is working, gave it the "screwdriver test" and you can hear it clicking like the other ones are. When you pull the injector harness off it makes no difference for how the motor runs. Bench test for the ohms reading is sameo as the other injectors so I'm assuming this one injector is plugged. I've pulled the injector out of the rail but can't see any sort of screen in the end of it, is there one there and can it be replaced??? Sherm

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Injector Screen???

pull and send off all of the injectors to be flow tested and cleaned

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've pulled the injector out of the rail but can't see any sort of screen in the end of it, is there one there and can it be replaced??? Sherm

The screens are readily available and easy to replace. Just do a search for injector screens

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the injector out and "tried" to take the screen out but no go, its in there pretty tight. Without it out, I of course, could not tell if it was dirty or not but gave it a "tap" to see if any gunk did come out, nothing did. The strange thing is that after I had it out and put it back in the danged thing worked! To be safe rather than sorry I'll pull the rail off and take them all in for servicing, I guess after 10 years its the least I can do! Thanks for the advice.............Sherm

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update to thread:Just a FYI for those that think they may have injector issues. I did take mine in and get them cleaned (ultrasonically - ASNU) and new filter baskets and seals put in, about $180 to have it done. Two of the injectors were listed as "bad", one "fair" and one "good" on the report. It wasn't the filter in the injector that was causing they problem, they were actually pretty clean, but the injector itself that was "gummed" up with crap, giving the two injectors poor spray patterns. Fuel flow was increased 6% on each of the bad ones and the injector guru said that at 8% you can start having backfire issues. Motor goes like a raped ape now, way better throttle response and great mid range as well, a worthwhile maintenance tip! Sherm

robert graham

Admiral

Could be the continuous use of Stabil, Seafoam or other fuel stabilizer may help with future injector problems....

Shermanator31660

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Strange you should mention that, the injector guru wasn't overly impressed with fuel additives to clean injectors. I've always used injector cleaner in both my outboards and also in my diesel trucks and wouldn't leave home without it! Sherm

robert graham

Admiral

I believe a fuel stabilizer is just good preventive maintenance, especially in newer 4 stroke fuel injected motors, since you can't drain the injection system like you can with draining carb float chambers during lay-up periods....