1989 Yamaha tiller 30ELF what happened?

DILLEYO

Cadet
I went out of town for a guys camping week last week and let one of the guys use my boat while I went into town golfing for the day. I didn't use the boat until the following day and when I did, it wasn't the same as before he used it. It fires up fine, but won't stay running on low idle and bogs down when at full throttle. I can get to where I need to, but it isn't a very smooth ride. It doesn't go any better with the choke partially in and almost dies out before I take the choke off, the ball stays hard, so I don't think it is fuel related. I asked the guy if he did anything to it and he said that it ran fine when he used it, but may not be telling me everything. Anyone have a thought as to where I should begin looking? I have a fishing contest coming up in a few weeks on the Mississippi river and would like to get it running like it was before and don't want to take it in anywhere if it something easy that someone else has come across. Thanks in advance. 2-stroke

Last edited:

Toddboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Yamaha tiller 30ELF what happened?

Check that nothing got wrapped around the propshaft, like fishing line. Remove the prop to check this, don't just look from the outside with the prop on. Think in terms of what your friend could have accessed. It's unlikely that he removed the motor's cowling. Using that logic, he may have accidently kinked a fuel line outside of the motor. Or he may have closed the fuel tank vent. Look at simple things like that first. If all of that fails, then it does sound fuel related. Perhaps you reached the bottom of the tank and debris got into the motor from the bottom of the tank. Or perhaps water splashed into the fuel tank. Happens on my boat... stupid tank vent is too close to the waterline. Drain the tank and replace the fuel if there is signs of water in your fuel/water separator.

Toddboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also make sure all connections along the fuel line are tight. Your friend may have tripped over the fuel line loosening one or more of the fittings. You may have a small air leak in the fuel line. This may not even be visible. Just make sure all of those connections are tight.

DILLEYO

Cadet

Thanks, did all of that and now it seems like it doesn't "get out of first gear". I took it out yesterday and it didn't bog down at all, just wouldn't kick it into high gear and also would sometimes kill when I put it into gear. I could only go about 7 mph when it usually goes about 25. I really don't want to take it in, but that may be what I end up doing. Anyone have any thoughts?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

check compression, spark, and timing to make sure they are all good.
If they are then look into fuel problems.
May just need carb cleaned, but make sure the rest is good