1988 suzuki 9.9 oil injected question

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
Hi, I have a 1988 suzuki 9.9 The hose that goes to the top of the oil pump came off. I hooked it back up but I am not sure the oil injection system is working ok. Does anyone know if I need to bleed the system and how to do this with the limited room in there (you can't even see the oil pump unless you remove the resavoir. How does this system work? Does it send oil up the line to the fuel connector on the front of the outboard and then that travels with the fuel into the carb? Do most people bypass this system entirely and if so what is needed to do that? One more question is it seems like the engine is getting too hot. I removed the thermostat and was going to drop it into a boling pot of water on the stove. At wat temperature should I see a change? Thanks, these suzukis are new to me but it seems like a nice motor being electric start and oil injected.

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 suzuki 9.9 oil injected question

I removed the thermostat and checked it in hot water. it opened fully between 130 and 140 degrees. I ran the motor in my test tank with the thermostat out and no thermostat cover on. I got no water up there while running but I did get a lot of exhaust gases pouring out. when i covered my hand over the opening I got exhaust fumes out the telltale with no water stream. I checked my impeller and it is perfect. any ideas why this is happening?

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: 1988 suzuki 9.9 oil injected question

Yes you will have to bleed it after the hose came off .... it is advisable to disconnect the whole oil system and premix your fuel ... you can just take the oil pump off disconnect the link shaft that make the pump work and bolt the pump back on ...