Yamaha 115 no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1997 yamaha two stroke 115
Was running great. Turned her off to fish a while. Now, no spark? Won't start ? Any ideas?
Thanks
Eddie

Toddboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha 115 no spark

What happens when you try to start the motor? Have you checked for spark or are you just saying that it didn't start?

Eddie Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Turns over. Pulled plug used test light to see that there was no spark. Also tried the old school way of holding the plug to ground and watching for spark. By passed the kill switch ,still no start. So, strong batteries,turns over ,but dose not start. And no spark .
Thanks for any help.
Eddie

Toddboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not so good diagnosing the ignition side. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Bad coils, perhaps? But if it's on all cylinders, then it's unlikely that all of the coils went at once. Maybe CDI unit?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

key and kill switch ground the ignition to keep voltage from plugs.
If you bypassed kill switch it sounds like you grounded the wire.
Might find the wire at CDI and disconnect to see if spark comes back, that will eliminate the harness and 2 switches

Test peak voltage to and from CDI to see if in spec

Eddie Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Took stator and pulse coil to have them tested by local outboard mech. He says they are good.
He says to unhook main harness at engine ,the ten pin. Then to use remote starter to see if it will spark.
First question, where should I hook up the leads from the remote starter? I need to bypass the solenoid ,I guess . Red wire at starter,and lower wire at the series of wires that go up the side of the starter at the solenoid?
Second question , how fast should the starter turn? I have read that it needs to spin fast to create enough spark. It seems fast enough for me?how can I tell if it is fast enough?
Third. If this dose not tell me anything. If I test the leads from the stator one set should test 165 volts the other 45 volts. Would this reading be the same wether the kill was grounded or not? It seems it would not change due to a grounded kill switch wire,but I'm not sure?
Thanks for any help or suggestions
Eddie

tonymuddbugg

Recruit
MAN I'm having the exact same issue. I have isolated kill switch and checked every plug for fire. Only I get fire at the first turn over and then nothing for several tries. then sometimes it'll pop and no then lose fire.... stumped

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
MAN I'm having the exact same issue. I have isolated kill switch and checked every plug for fire. Only I get fire at the first turn over and then nothing for several tries. then sometimes it'll pop and no then lose fire.... stumped

Start a new topic. Please do not post in old, inactive threads.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.