1990 yamaha precision blend 115

jason011

Seaman
i just bought this motor and was going to unhook the oiler on it before i start running it, the guy i got it from said its been sitting for the last 9 years, i called the local dealer and they said that they wouldnt unhook it but i figured i would ask on here to get an unbiased opinion ( the dealer would love for me to leave it hooked up so they can sell me parts ) so if anyone has any info/ opinions on these motors and the oiler i would love to hear it thanks

eggage1

Cadet
Re: 1990 yamaha precision blend 115

Make sure both oil tanks are clean.
I recently bought one that had been sitting also and the oil in the tanks had gotten sticky with some sludge on the bottom.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The oiling system on your motor is completely mechanical, and it's very reliable. I agree with the above that you should empty both tanks, add new oil and go with it as it is.

If the boat's been sitting so long, you should also go ahead and clean the carbs.

You should also have a qualified marine mechanic drain the lower unit grease looking for any signs of water intrusion. Then have the lower unit pressure and vacuum tested--seeing if the seals are good. New seals are about a $300 repair job. They will then refill the lower unit grease.

Then it's time to get the engine up and running.

Somebody asked me how to tell if the oiling system is working. First thing I do is look for smoke when the engine's starting cold. I also watch the oil level in the small tank to make sure the oil level gets lower.

Last edited:

jason011

Seaman

thanks for the replies, the motor i have has been sitting for a very long time, however, when i bought it there was no lower unit on it so i bought another ( parts motor ) to get the lower end for it. that motor hasnt sat long, i have already cleaned the carbs, oil tanks and drained the lower end oil, i dont have the gear to pressure test it so ill take it to the lake and check for any signs of water after i take it out for the first few times

jason011

Seaman

first run in and no signs of water where it shouldnt be, i am very surprised with the ol girl.... she pulls HARD!! if i didnt know what i was running i would have sworn it was at least a 130 does anyone know if these motors hp was rated at the prop or the powerhead? this motor has over 130psi on all cyl i also have a 115 evinrude with 125 on all cyl and this yam would eat the rude for fun...... im very impressed with it