Impeler replacement 1990 9.9 LD Yamaha

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class
I plan to replace the impeller on my recently purchased 1990 9.9 LD. I see on this site a replacement impeller 18-3074, however I do not see a "kit" which would include any gaskets and perhaps a key if one is used. Anyone know if this engine has one or more gaskets that should be replaced on the impeller replacement?

Also, does any know if the drive shaft comes out with the lower unit removal, or does it stay with the engine and engage the lower unit just above the lower unit (the location where they bolt together)? I know I have to release the gear shift rod before dropping the lower unit.

Welcome any insights from anyone who has changed the impeller on this engine. I further note this engine appears to have the cooling water intake underneath the anti-cavitation plane (this should be obvious when I pull the lower unit).

Thanks,

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Impeler replacement 1990 9.9 LD Yamaha

Okay, I see this forum offers a water pump rebuild kit, which includes the impeller:
Mallory Kit, Water Pump Repair 9-48600 - iboats

The kit looks to have a lot more than I may need. I may just try to get by replacing the impeller. Replacing the lower impeller plate and all the bolts seems overkill.

How about the lower unit lub, just a marine gear grease (90 Weight Oil)? My Evinrude and the Johnson before that (a late 1980's engine) all used GL 5.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

the impeller is not the only thing that gets worn, the cup and seal plate the impeller rides against gets grooved and needs replacing also.

Kit comes with all you need and does not cost much more than just an impeller

robert graham

Admiral

the impeller is not the only thing that gets worn, the cup and seal plate the impeller rides against gets grooved and needs replacing also.

Kit comes with all you need and does not cost much more than just an impeller

I agree!...get the kit and just keep any spare parts. You need a new wear plate for that new impeller to run on for maximum pump efficiency...