'98 Yamaha 115 - Oil tank overflowing!

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took my '98 yamaha 115 for the maiden voyage today after going through everything that I could on it. After running it for maybe 30 minutes or so, I started seeing a lot of smoke. After some investigation, the oil tank on the motor was completely full!?!?!? Apparently the motor mounted tank thought it needed oil constantly for some reason. The float inside of it appears to be free. Not sure why it's doing this and not sure how to fix. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: '98 Yamaha 115 - Oil tank overflowing!

Need to test to see what is going on, are float switches operating properly, is wiring and connections good
do some forum searching as that has been covered many times

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class

did you accidentally hit the reserve switch on the side of the motor making it fill your tank? float switch bad?, pretty sure the ox's have them

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took the float assembly out and hooked an ohm meter to the black lead and the positive to the red lead. With the float at the top, I didn't have a reading (is that a closed circuit?) With the float at the bottom, I had a reading so I'm assuming that is working. With the float at the bottom, it's telling the remote tank to pump oil. So I carefully put it back in the tank with the screen in the correct spot because I can see if you install that screen incorrectly, that could interfere with the float.

I took the boat back out today and after running it with a load (dragging the kids on tubes) the engine tank overfilled again!?!?!?

And no, I didn't accidentally hit the reserve switch. The reserve switch is spring loaded so you have to hold it if you want it on. Also, all of the connections are clean and look good.

Any thoughts on this one?

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update:

I took the float assembly out again. Everything I've read talks about what the readings should be by measuring the ohms of the blue/black and blue/green sensor harness leads at the connector. The sensor I have has four wires coming out of it, red, black, white and brown. The sensor plugs into the injection module and then coming out of the module are those wires (blue/black and blue/green). I take it that I find a connector past that point to get my readings, correct?

Since it passes through the module first, does the key need to be on to check these readings?

I've tried to check my ohms at one of those connectors with the float at different levels and I'm not getting any readings.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

eggage1

Cadet

With the float unplugged.

Black to red should have continuity with the float at the bottom. Low oil alarm.
Black to brown should have continuity with the float in the middle. Fill switch.
Black to white should have continuity with the float at the top. Shut off switch

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

If your float switches are good, your problem is probably the oil control module by the small tank on the engine. You know, the one with the switch.

The oil module is the only problem I've ever had with my Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke, and I think it was a $240 replacement 15 years ago. If it malfunctions, the small oil tank will overflow into tubes that go to the carbs. Your engine will be flooded with oil and a bunch of blue smoke will follow you.

And while you're at it, replace the spark plugs as they can easily get fouled.

Last edited:

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks eggage1 and Bamaman1. I checked the continuity of those wires and the black to white did not have continuity with the float at the top. I bought a new sensor and put it in and am hoping to check it on the lake today. I'll report back.

Thanks for your help!

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took it out to the lake and it worked fine. We then left on a week long boating trip and the motor ran great all week. Thanks again for your help!