1991 85hp yamaha outboard wont shift after impellor change

hcarr1234

Recruit
I changed the water pump impellor on my outboard. After putting it back together I cant get it to shift or to go into neutral. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem will be appreciated. My grandson did shift the motor while the footwas off.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 1991 85hp yamaha outboard wont shift after impellor change

Drop the foot again, and while turning the prop shaft by hand and shifting the splined shift shaft by hand back and forth "find" neutral....then put your motor control in the neutral position....replace the foot and you should be good to go.....when you really think about it, makes good sense!....a good rule is to Not move the shifter shaft while foot is off...

PieterH2

Recruit

Drop the foot again, and while turning the prop shaft by hand and shifting the splined shift shaft by hand back and forth "find" neutral....then put your motor control in the neutral position....replace the foot and you should be good to go.....when you really think about it, makes good sense!....a good rule is to Not move the shifter shaft while foot is off...

Good day, I have a similar problem with a 85 Yamaha. Someone fiddled with the selector when I was changing the impellor. If I turn the propshaft and the gear selector I find a spot where the propshaft can turn both ways but there is a clunking sound coming from within the gearcase. No matter what I do the clunking sound is there, even if I turn it bothways. I have never heard or seen this engine run before so I dont know if this was a problem before the gearcase was removed. This an old motor. I am also in the process of replacing the cylinder head gasket, had broken bolts removed from the waterjacket and had the head slightly skimmed. Took nice pictures of this rebuild that I can post should someone need to see them.

Regards

Capt Ken

Commander

Easiest way is to turn the shift shaft fully counter clockwise and rotate the propshaft the same way. Then put the binacle into forward. Then reinstall the lower and being its in gear, you can rotate the prop to the left and move the driveshaft to align the spline.