Suzuki DT 3.5 outboard that will not idle... ideas?

markryan1981

Recruit
Hello all,

I own a Suzuki DT 3.5 outboard (circa 1980s perhaps?) that looks in fabulous condition however it will not idle. After lots of tugging with the choke out, it will idle, just, with the choke half way out (and even then it will die eventually). You can roar around to your hearts content at full throttle with the choke pushed in, however, as soon as you idle (or get close to it), the engine dies.

I have done all of the obvious things, such as look at the idle jet, clean up and soak the carb and generally clear out anything that looks vaguely like a jet. I've changed the fuel, which was pretty ancient (it contained water and too high a ratio than the 50:1 the engine needs as the fuel had clearly evaporated over time and left the oil behind), but the problem is no better.

I have looked at the post on this fine forum that relates to a similar problem, however I cannot identify the 'brass blanking screw' he spoke of.

All this leads me to four questions:

• Can anyone suggest, looking at the page B5 of this PDF parts book which brass blanking screw Steve was talking about.
  • Does anyone know what the points gap should be on the DT3.5? I suspect this might be the cause.
  • There are four timing marks, one at top dead center, and three clustered together. Does anyone have any advice on doing the timing on the beast?
  • Does anyone have a workshop manual in a PDF? There are lots of parts manuals online in PDF form, nothing that gives any practical advice.
  • Does anyone have any other idea to try to get this venerable old beast transporting my family about safely?

Thanks for your assistance.

Mark