Suzuki 115 new to me questions, esp. water pump

Old Tom

Cadet
Daughter bought a new boat, gave me her old one. Until now, a big boat was a 17' canoe, but I've a 17' Glastron with a 1988 Suzuki DT 115 on it. The mechanic who serviced it put a water pump that he admitted "was not the right one, but might work". (Doesn't) New (right) pump just arrived from Browns c/w the dealer's service manual, but it doesn't tell me what I need to know. How do I get to the water pump without getting in trouble? Do I need to remove the prop first? Removing the prop looks like a PITA. From what I've read, there can be a problem when done wrong. Any advice?

Old Tom

Cadet
Re: Suzuki 115 new to me questions, esp. water pump

c'mon guys, this is not a difficult question! Do I pull the prop or not? Somebody must have been there before! I need some help here!

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not much help here on the Suzuki board. I've got an 87 DT 30 that I post about but most of the time I talk to myself. My motor is fine (I figure things out for myself) but I'm looking to replace it with a more popular outboard and I'll never buy another Suzuki.
What I've been doing is going on the more popular outboard threads to learn a lot about how things work.
Here's a video on Utube of a guy changing out a water pump on a Suzuki 140. Can't be that much different?
Good luck.
Rob

D-Ray's Shop- Suzuki DF140 Outboard Water Pump Replacement Pt.1 - YouTube

delta229

Seaman Apprentice

I have a DT 140 and it's much the same as the DT115. You don't have to remove the prop, I do simply to reduce the weight of the lower unit. The lower unit needs to come off. Some models, including mine, have a shift linkage that connects between the upper unit and lower unit that is connected with a small pin and clip. It is behind a cover on the transom side of the unit. I would be happy to take pictures of mine or guide you through the impeller change. It's not difficult. You do risk breaking some bolts off but this too can be dealt with. Message me if you need assistance.

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a DT 140 and it's much the same as the DT115. You don't have to remove the prop, I do simply to reduce the weight of the lower unit. The lower unit needs to come off. Some models, including mine, have a shift linkage that connects between the upper unit and lower unit that is connected with a small pin and clip. It is behind a cover on the transom side of the unit. I would be happy to take pictures of mine or guide you through the impeller change. It's not difficult. You do risk breaking some bolts off but this too can be dealt with. Message me if you need assistance.

Nice reply.

Old Tom

Cadet

That would be great! Not quite sure where you mean, so a picture would be worth a thousand words and then some!
Thanks much
Tom

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class

That would be great! Not quite sure where you mean, so a picture would be worth a thousand words and then some!
Thanks much
Tom

Tom,
Did you click on the link I posted?
The guy pretty much shows you how to do it.

Old Tom

Cadet

Tom,
Did you click on the link I posted?
The guy pretty much shows you how to do it.

Yes, tried from work, but something wrong with the speakers, can't understand him. I'll try it again tonight from home. Thanks, it looks like it will help.
Tom

Old Tom

Cadet

OK, replaced the impeller etc, got it together, cranked her up, and it still screams at me. I'm assuming the **** tube is in the little cover I took off to get at the pin that disconnects the linkage, yes? Nothing coming through, but I had some really good advice and am confident I did the water pump replacement correctly, so what's going on? I'm anxious to get this thing in the water, but don't want to blow it for impatience!! It's set up to run pre-mix and the oil tank has been disconnected ( 2 wires, right?). Sorry guys, I'm really new to this stuff. Had an electric motor for about a week maybe 30 years ago, my only attempt at improving on the paddle, so I'm really the most virgin of the novices you're likely to hear from!

Last edited:

Old Tom

Cadet

OK, no response, so I'll word it differently. What's the best maintenance manual out there for a novice? I have a Suzuki service manual, but it's not at all what I need, I need the equivalent of the "idiot's manual". What are your suggestions?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Did you insert the impellar correctly? (blades pushing forward clockwise) The oil tank have 2 wires yes but you need to also disconnect the link arm of the oil pump ....

Old Tom

Cadet

That could be it. I'll try it tonight when I get home. Thanks!