Cooling Issue Suzuki DT25

Status
Not open for further replies.

sikovlife

Recruit
Ok I am looking for some help here! I will start by giving a quick history. I purchased a used DT25 (Suzuki 2 stroke) and was having cooling issues. First thing I did was change the impeller, wear plate and water pump gasket. I also changed the head cover gasket and high temp alarm. My problem is I am still not getting any cooling water up through the engine. I made an adapter to hook up the garden hose to the cooling tube right where the water pump grommet connects and I can run the engine with no problems both the pee hole and water exhaust ports are clear and the thermostat is functioning properly. So I know the problem is in the lower unit. I was able to hang the lower unit in a barrel and spin the drive shaft with a drill motor, first time I did this I got no water thru the water pump. I removed the impeller and applied a layer of grease inside the impeller housing and retested. I was able to get water to flow that time but not enough to move water thru the engine. Please any suggestions? I want to buy a new housing but I also do not want to continue to throw wasted money at this.

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Cooling Issue Suzuki DT25

Did you try running the motor in the barrel?
If not, try running it in the barrel. Make sure you fill the barrel up so the water is just above the cavitation (anti?) plate.
My DT 30 won't pump water when hooked up correctly to the garden hose but it pumps just fine when in a barrel or on the water.
Let us know.

sikovlife

Recruit
Re: Cooling Issue Suzuki DT25

Hello,
First thanks for the quick response. Now to answer the question, Yes I have tried to run it in the barrel with no luck. Not so much as a drop of water comes out of the pee hole with the lower unit on, but like I said runs great with just hose pressure hooked directly to the water intake tube?

kbayjim

Recruit
my dt 25 has no built in pee hole, very simple engine, no thermostat either, 1980 j model

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
my dt 25 has no built in pee hole, very simple engine, no thermostat either, 1980 j model

Nice reply to a 3+ year old thread. Please read the Help Tip on top of the page.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.