Tilt/trim and start problem Suzuki 4 stroke 90 HP (2009)

gspeed

Recruit
Out on the water a week ago the engine died while running at about 20 knots, then would turn over but would restart. At the same time the trim was dead (not even making a sound).

Some time later, after being towed in, for no reason that we can figure out it started and the trim worked. We headed out and had no issues.

Next time we went out the same issue as the first happened but on start-up so never got the boat going, the trim didn't work either (but engine turned over).

We took it in and of course it started for the mechanic and again when we put it in the water tonight.

We have a fishing trip planned and are worried about this happening again while out on the water.

Does anyone out there have any ideas on that this might be?

Thanks

Rusty_Scupper

Recruit
Mine exhibits the same symptoms (2007 DF90). I'm still troubleshooting. I do see a loose ground connection under the starter (looks like a connection between the regulator and ground). I have not removed enough pieces to get to it yet and see if that is the issue.

Is this still a problem for you?

gspeed

Recruit
Well we thought we had it fixed with a new wiring harness, but as luck would have it 40 miles from shore it happened again. This time the mechanic traced the problem to a fuse. The fuse hadn't blown but was overheating and causing the engine to turn off. He has now wired the engine to bypass that fuse and no problems since.

Rusty_Scupper

Recruit
Interesting. I pulled the 30 and 60a fuses which were not visibly blown, so I didn't replace them. I just has a mechanic go over it. He found one loose ground under the cowling which should not have done it (regulator), & another in the dash (tach was intermittent). Dropping it in the water to ride around for a couple of hours (with tools and a meter). I'm planning to run it hard, but not far from shore :) Thanks for the post!