2000 50hp yamaha 2-stroke problems

f-i-s-h

Recruit
im am out of ideas and need help.

from the top.
about two weeks ago i was out fishing. about dark we cranked up to head to the landing. about a minute into the trip the outboard started skipping a little and got worse quick. within 100yds i dropped of plane and it stalled it cranked but would immediately die. so i put my backup plugs in and it fired right up and ran good. back on plane no problem but within 400yds it died again. it would fire up and die within 3 seconds but i could keep it going with a little throttle in neutral. so i thought i might have trash in my carbs. i was able to drain 2 of the 3 carb bowls and it fired and we were able to putt back to landing a little faster than idle speed.

i have never put anything but no ethanol gas in my boat. before this trip i did purchase No E gas from a different station. that paired with it seeming to work after draing the bowls made believe i had a fuel issue. i purchased and installed a 10 micron fuel/water separator and siphoned my tank out and put fresh no E fuel from my usual store and treated it with marine stabil. i cleaned the carbs and installed all new line from the tank(10 gal plastic) to the outboard. i took it to the lake and it seemed to run good but minutes into my test run it started skipping and got worse. i circled back to the landing and came to a stop. it died but fired up and started to get on plane again but was running rough put died before getting there. it would crank with no hesitation and die within 3 seconds.

back home i figured a little trash had somehow got in the carbs again so i cleaned them again. went back to the lake and had a repeat of the previous trip. i did make 1 mistake. i took apart the fuel pump on the block to clean any trash out of it and i believed i damaged it as it later leaked in a test. i got a new one and installed it. another test run seem to be its self ran good for a mile or to then the old skip started again and this trip ended like the last one. cranking and dying within 3 seconds.

last things i have done is borrow a hanging gas bottle from a mechanic friend and hooked it up inline right before the new fuel pump eliminating the whole fuel system.with the foot in a barrel. let in idle as the engine warmed it started running rough.this test ended with it again cranking easy but dying within seconds. even with increased throttle in neutral.

the spark seems strong but quits when the engine starts dying. i had a friend mention the power pack and they can break down and act strange with heat. is there anyway to test or trouble shoot that.

and lastly i have not messed with this electronic thing on the side of the middle carb. can someone explain what it is and can it cause trouble. in my reading and research i have not figured out what it is or even seen it mentioned
$T2eC16ZHJIYE9qUcOt5GBRr!iVo)D!~~60_3.JPGweb pic mine look nicer

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2000 50hp yamaha 2-stroke problems

Check your battery charge level and all connections...a weak or dying battery could give the electrical system some problems. The electrical gizmo on the side of your middle carb is the prime start unit, fully automatic mixture enrichening device for cold starts....probably not your problem. Check your fuel delivery from tank pick up, tank vent, hose connections, primer bulb, quick disconnect, etc. for leaks, bad o-rings, seals, etc. that might interfere with fuel flow or air in-leakage. Good luck!

Toddboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 50hp yamaha 2-stroke problems

Robert Graham,
You mentioned something that I've always wondered about... a weak battery affecting the way the motor runs. Is it true that this can happen, or doesn't the motor just start the motor? Once started, can't the motor run completely without the battery? Of course you would lose trim and tilt, fishfinder, GPS, etc, but shouldn't the motor itself run the same (once started) whether the battery is brand new versus whether it is dying? Thanks!