Re-sealing '07 Yamaha 90 TLR 2 stroke lower unit

odonaldp

Cadet
OK... .Got the service manual, but...... it's meant for trained service techs and leaves a LOT of info out.

My questions:
1. What is the little capped off tube that comes out of the LU and stops just under the steering actuator?

2. Where do I disconnect it and when?

3. Does the gearshift rod disconnect from the lower unit or under the carbs?

I've never re-sealed a lower unit, and I don't want to be wishing that I'd taken it to a shop because of a dumb mistake on something easy. If you know something else that I need to be watchful for, pls let me know.

I spent $79 on the service manual - a complete waste of money.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Re-sealing '07 Yamaha 90 TLR 2 stroke lower unit

lower unit can leak at shifter shaft seal, drive shaft seal, prop shaft seal or fill/vent screws seal/washers(these are easiest and cheapest to replace)....remove prop and check for fishing line wrapped around prop shaft and under seal, causing leak and/or seal damage. Best to run a pressure test on lower unit to identify which seal is leaking....good luck!

Toddboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if the tube is copper, it's the water line that cools the block.
it usually disconnects at the water pump in the LU.
the driveshaft disconnects from the upper part of the motor, not from the LU
when resealing the LU, read what the manual says about the direction of the seals. I believe that unlike all other manufacturers, Yamaha faces both seals in the same direction, making the pressure in the LU higher than other brands.
like the previous poster said, you should check the pressure in the LU before and after the fix.
After re-sealing the LU, do not forget to fill it with fresh oil and use new rubber washers at both screw locations.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

the tube is for speedometer
disconnect it as you drop lower unit at the splice
sift rod is splined and will slide out as you drop lower unit

read up on how to remove and replace seals in manual, if you do not have the tools and equipment the manual calls for then take it to a yamaha shop to have the work done.

Seems you have not done much work on any motors if you cannot understand the manual

odonaldp

Cadet

the tube is for speedometer
disconnect it as you drop lower unit at the splice
sift rod is splined and will slide out as you drop lower unit

read up on how to remove and replace seals in manual, if you do not have the tools and equipment the manual calls for then take it to a yamaha shop to have the work done.

Seems you have not done much work on any motors if you cannot understand the manual

I've read the manual and like I mentioned, it leaves a lot of info out.

If I could afford to take it to a shop, I wouldn't have bothered with this forum. I was seeking help, not insults. Maybe you should check your blood sugar before you post again.

I'll see what I can do about deleting this thread and seek help elsewhere.:D

I grew up on the Texas coast (Freeport), have been around boats all of my life, build boats, got a six-pack. Just not an outboard mechanic like yourself.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Sorry you took it that way, but the service manual from Yamaha covers everything in steps and tells you what equipment or special tools are needed to do the job.
It may refer you to a different section to do do some things to keep from repeating it over and over.

If you have a problem understanding something in the manual ask ,
I answered a few of your questions with no problem that the manual should cover if you read it deep enough ,
but do not just say you have one and it does not tell you anything as I know better even though I am not a Yamaha tech.

Is it a service manual from Yamaha or one of the aftermarket ones that cover all HP and many year models?

I just happen to own a Yamaha that I work on myself. And I live close to Freeport, worked for Dow for many years
I had to ask questions also when I got this Yamaha, even though I picked up a manual not too long after starting to work on the used motor.

I have been working on motors of all kinds since I was in very young in the 60s, but reading manuals make things so much easier even if they are translated to English and read strange sometimes.

And I drink 30 packs. What do you do with your six pack?

odonaldp

Cadet

Sorry you took it that way, but the service manual from Yamaha covers everything in steps and tells you what equipment or special tools are needed to do the job.
It may refer you to a different section to do do some things to keep from repeating it over and over.

If you have a problem understanding something in the manual ask ,
I answered a few of your questions with no problem that the manual should cover if you read it deep enough ,
but do not just say you have one and it does not tell you anything as I know better even though I am not a Yamaha tech.

Is it a service manual from Yamaha or one of the aftermarket ones that cover all HP and many year models?

I just happen to own a Yamaha that I work on myself. And I live close to Freeport, worked for Dow for many years
I had to ask questions also when I got this Yamaha, even though I picked up a manual not too long after starting to work on the used motor.

I have been working on motors of all kinds since I was in very young in the 60s, but reading manuals make things so much easier even if they are translated to English and read strange sometimes.

And I drink 30 packs. What do you do with your six pack?

Yamaha_manual.JPG

I am capable of reading and understanding a tech manual. More importantly, I know what kind of manual to buy.

It's probably the 30 pack you're drinking that makes you think you're a Yamaha/outboard guru. Or maybe the exposure to all of those nice chems you worked around @ Dow. Whatever the case, your attitude is arrogant and insulting. How about you just forget this thread and stop offering your special brand of help?

If you don't know what I do w/a six-pack,,,,,,,, well, just keep sucking down your 30 packs.

FYI, the lower unit is re-sealed, done and dusted. Any further postings on this thread could only be rhetorical and of no use.

ESAD

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Glad you got it fixed, did you get some help in understanding the manual and fix it yourself or did you take it to someone?

Just think it is real weird that you would post out of the blue about the shape you body is in on a boating repair web site if you were not talking about something to drink with the six pack.

You can stop posting any time you feel like it also