1998 yamaha 130 saltwater series low oil alarm going off

nor'east bob

Recruit
i just bought a used 1998 yamaha 130 saltwater series. the motor was on a boat when i bought it so i got to run it and it was flawless. i picked up the motor and put it on my boat, hooked everything up and turned the key on and the alarm is now going off. the digital gauge is flashing the low oil symbol even though both tanks are filled properly. would the alarm be going off from a from a dead pump in the reserve tank or a clogged filter even with the tank on the motor filled adequately? any info on how to start trouble shooting would great!

thanks, bob

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1998 yamaha 130 saltwater series low oil alarm going off

the alarm is set off by float on oil tank on motor sending signal to oil module i believe on that 130.
Service manual should show how to test, but if you look hard enough you will find troubleshooting diagrams on the net

Could be you just hooked something up wrong

nor'east bob

Recruit
Re: 1998 yamaha 130 saltwater series low oil alarm going off

both the floats seem to move freely, and all the wires in all the harnesses seem to be hooked up right (color wise). if i disconnect the 4 wire harness that runs to the reserve tank the alarm sounds for a few seconds when i turn the key on then shuts off. obviously not going to run the motor with reserve tank disconnected but seems weird the horn shuts off with that separated.