Yamaha 40hp water in gear oil, but pressure tests fine.

tvpierce

Cadet
My motor is an '89 Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke, 3 cylinder. I just bought it last fall, so am going through it this spring.

First off, I never leave the boat in the water. I drop it in, use it, then pull it out -- and I'm on fresh water.

The first time I had it out, I came back, checked the lower unit oil, and it was milky. So I drained it, replaced the washers on the fill & level holes, and refilled it. Took it out a couple weeks later: came back, checked the gear oil, and it was milky again. So I drained it and refilled it. Took it out a week later. Checked the oil when I got back, and milky again.

So I order new seals.

Pull the lower unit, the water pump and the seal housing. There was a little oil on top of the seals, so I figure that's where my problem is, but I decide I want to pressure test it just be be sure. I pressurize it to at 8 psi. Holds pressure fine. In fact, I let it sit pressurized overnight (8 hours) and it was still at 6.5 psi in the morning! I figure that's a pretty tight gearbox. Should I just replace the seals anyway?

Thanks in advance for your help!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Yamaha 40hp water in gear oil, but pressure tests fine.

Did you use new gaskets under the Vent and Drain/Fill plugs? A pressure test is not foolproof. Water infiltration happens when the internal pressure is below ambient, not above. To do a pressure test you have to remove at least one gasket. It is possible that a seal or gasket admits water when a hot gearcase cools and internal pressure goes below ambient.

I would cost near nothing to replace those gaskets. Worth a try. Good luck. :)

tvpierce

Cadet

Yes, new gaskets/washers on the drain/fill and vent plugs. I hadn't even thought of how thermal expansion/contaction would impact things.

What's interesting though is that the oil and water are always mixed well -- uniform milky color. Which I thought was an indication it's taking on the water while the gears are moving. If it was taking on the water only during cool-down -- with the motor stopped, wouldn't the water tend to be separated from the oil?

In any event, good to know that the pressure test isn't fool proof. I already have the seals, so will go ahead and replace them.

Thanks!

Capt Ken

Commander

Pressure test is for checking for oil leakage. Vacuum check is to check for incoming water leaks.

tvpierce

Cadet

I'll swap out the upper seals then, and do a vacuum check once I have it buttoned back up.

Thanks.