Overheating 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke that spits water great

JamieAlyssa

Recruit
I have a 2 stroke 15 hp Yamaha that is about 5 years old. It started overheating, I changed the impeller, got the b roken pieces out. Still overheating and now the water that it is pissing is a little steamy and foamy. Next I removed the thermostat, still overheating. Next I replaced the head gasket and cleaned everything well. Still overheating, now the stream is normal, very strong not foamy or steamy, but gets very hot, fast. The water it is spitting and the head. Starts easily. Anyone have any advise???!! Help please!!!!

Re: Overheating 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke that spits water great

Just had a similar problem with my 25 hp yamaha. Mechanic has eventually traced it to the impeller not being installed properly. Some cooling water was getting up but not enough. Not an obvious problem as impeller was checked twice before being discovered. Hope this helps.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

put your stat back in, but test it 1st to make sure it is opening proprly

JamieAlyssa

Recruit

Ok so yesterday i dropped the lower unit again, used a coathanger in the water uptake tube. Seemed fine. Blew compressed air into the hose it spits water out of and it didnt come put the uptake tube. Ditto when I put the air on the uptake, it didnt come out the spitting hose. Put it back together tried it again and now its not spitting water at all. It was spitting a very good stream and still overheating, now nothing.