2002 Yamaha V150TLR two stroke loses power at full throttle

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class
At full throttle the engine loses a bit of power and then goes back to full power. It repeats this pattern as long as the hammer is down. When running at half throttle or less there is no noticable issue. The problem only occurs at 3/4 to full throttle. The engine never shuts off just seems to bog down for a second and then comes right back up to full power. My buddy suggested it was the fuel filter. I unscrewed the bowl and saw there were a several small black particles floating around. I dumped them out and screwed it back on. This seemed to fix the issue tempararily, but i noticed the symptoms creeping back after another day of riding. Your thoughts? The engine is under an aftermarket warranty, but if just adding a new fuel filter is the answer I would rather attempt that than spend the time taking it in. Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

Charlie in TX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2002 Yamaha V150TLR two stroke loses power at full throttle

I would replace the filters first.

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 Yamaha V150TLR two stroke loses power at full throttle

So before running the engine again this weekend I checked the fuel filter. Still some debris in there, but I am not familar with what is normal or not. All of the debris combined would fit within the eye of a bass hook. Doesn't seem substantial to me. Over the weekend I ran Yamalube Ring Free Plus at a rate of 1 ounce per 2 gallons hoping that it just needed some extra cleaning. The issue never appeared over the entire four days of running it. Maybe the ring free disolved a clog or maybe something cleared?