Yamaha OX66 Lower Unit Lube Snafu!

LaneyAnne

Cadet
I have water in my lower unit lube on my Yamaha OX66 200hp motor. It is due to a bad drain plug gasket, and the motor has only seen about 3 hours total run time since the lube was changed, which is when the leak began. Boat is hoist kept and when I noticed an oil film on the water I investigated to find some leaking from the plug hole. I opened it up to replace the gasket and found that the brand new lube put in a month ago was creamy looking. My question is this, in three hours of runtime... how much could I have damaged the lower unit? The lube that came out is still thick and feels/smells/looks clean and new except all frothy. Seems to have its viscosity or thickness. I was thinking of just flushing and refilling with new. Did I dodge a bullet by detecting it so soon or am I in trouble?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yamaha OX66 Lower Unit Lube Snafu!

Just fill her up with frsh gear oil and change the o-ring. Not much else you can do. I'd say you're good.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Change the drain gaskets every time you pull the plug.

You might want to flush it some before filling and do it again not too far in the future just to make sure you get rid of all the water.

Letting it sit with water in it is harder on it than running it

LaneyAnne

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback guys! I already drained and refilled with fresh lube and changed both gaskets, plan on doing it one more time this weekend.