Carberator problems on 2003 130 hp Yamaha 2 stroke

kkg88key

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Yamaha 130 Hp 2 stroke outboard that I just bought a couple of months ago and have been running it every weekend since. It has been running great until today. I read somewhere that you should put a pint of yamaha ring cleaner in the fuel to help keep everything clean and running good - so when I was at the Yamaha dealer the other day getting a water pump impeller I picked up this gas additive. Well today I fueled up the boat and poured the additive in at the same time. When I got out on the water it ran fine at first. Then I ran about 7 miles wide open and when I stopped I noticed that the motor went dead at idle - something it has never done before. When I started to crank it again about 15 minutes later, it would not crank. It acted like it was not getting fuel at first. But then I started smelling gas like it was flooded. I finally got it cranked and it would not idle but I finally got it revved up and back on plane and it finally started running great at 4000 rpms and got up on plane. It ran fine for, again. 6 or 7 miles back to the boat ramp but when I dropped back to idle speed it would barely run and you could smell gas like it was running too rich. I finally made it up to the dock but had to load it on the trailer with a rope because it would not crank. The only thing that I have done since it ran great and now that it does not is the additive that I thought would help, not screw it up. I wonder if the additive caused some gunk or trash to break loose somewhere and get it some of the carberator jets and cause idle problems. Any thoughts on this and what I need to do to straighten it out? Do I need to take it to the yamaha dealer and let them check it or is there something I can do? I know carberators are not something to mess with unless you know what you are doing. Thanks for any recommendations on this matter.

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Carberator problems on 2003 130 hp Yamaha 2 stroke

I have a Yamaha 130 Hp 2 stroke outboard that I just bought a couple of months ago and have been running it every weekend since. It has been running great until today. I read somewhere that you should put a pint of yamaha ring cleaner in the fuel to help keep everything clean and running good - so when I was at the Yamaha dealer the other day getting a water pump impeller I picked up this gas additive. Well today I fueled up the boat and poured the additive in at the same time. When I got out on the water it ran fine at first. Then I ran about 7 miles wide open and when I stopped I noticed that the motor went dead at idle - something it has never done before. When I started to crank it again about 15 minutes later, it would not crank. It acted like it was not getting fuel at first. But then I started smelling gas like it was flooded. I finally got it cranked and it would not idle but I finally got it revved up and back on plane and it finally started running great at 4000 rpms and got up on plane. It ran fine for, again. 6 or 7 miles back to the boat ramp but when I dropped back to idle speed it would barely run and you could smell gas like it was running too rich. I finally made it up to the dock but had to load it on the trailer with a rope because it would not crank. The only thing that I have done since it ran great and now that it does not is the additive that I thought would help, not screw it up. I wonder if the additive caused some gunk or trash to break loose somewhere and get it some of the carberator jets and cause idle problems. Any thoughts on this and what I need to do to straighten it out? Do I need to take it to the yamaha dealer and let them check it or is there something I can do? I know carberators are not something to mess with unless you know what you are doing. Thanks for any recommendations on this matter.

I would take it in to a shop and have them look at it. If you're not willing to sacrifice the down time, check the spark plugs and replace them if they look dirty. I have heard of ring free fouling plugs if used on engines that have never run with it before. Perhaps you just broke loose 10 years of gunk buildup. I run ring free every time and after you get this worked out I'd continue to run it. I've never talked to a yamaha mechanic who wasn't convinced it was a "must". How much did you use? I only add 3 ounces a tank and I fill up at 30 gallons

Capt Ken

Commander

Ring Free should not have bothered it but if you had any major deposits, it could have broke them loose and plugged the low speed jets. But it will also desolve them overnight. Being its in the fuel mixture now. Let it sit a day or and try to restart it. I run 50/50 mix to decarbon all the time

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

50/50 is a lot of expensive ring free, but I guess you do not run but a small amount at a time.
I would hate to see what a gallon of it cost

kkg88key

Seaman Apprentice

I would take it in to a shop and have them look at it. If you're not willing to sacrifice the down time, check the spark plugs and replace them if they look dirty. I have heard of ring free fouling plugs if used on engines that have never run with it before. Perhaps you just broke loose 10 years of gunk buildup. I run ring free every time and after you get this worked out I'd continue to run it. I've never talked to a yamaha mechanic who wasn't convinced it was a "must". How much did you use? I only add 3 ounces a tank and I fill up at 30 gallons

I talked to a friend of mine this morning at work and he said the same thing you said - that it may have fouled the plugs. I just bought the boat about 3 months ago. I don't know if the previous owner ever ran any through it or not. This is the first time I have done it. I used a pint of it in a forty gallon fuel tank. I am going to check the plugs this evening and if necessary change them. After my friend and you say the same thing I tend to agree that may be the problem. I hope so since that is an easy fix. Thanks so much for the advise.

kkg88key

Seaman Apprentice

I talked to a friend of mine this morning at work and he said the same thing you said - that it may have fouled the plugs. I just bought the boat about 3 months ago. I don't know if the previous owner ever ran any through it or not. This is the first time I have done it. I used a pint of it in a forty gallon fuel tank. I am going to check the plugs this evening and if necessary change them. After my friend and you say the same thing I tend to agree that may be the problem. I hope so since that is an easy fix. Thanks so much for the advise.