1989 Yamaha 30HP 2 stroke

DILLEYO

Cadet
Just recently bought this from a guy on craigslist. Compression checked in front of me 125-125-130 and ran perfect on the muffs. Put it on the boat, fired right up, idled away from the dock perfectly, but when I gave it full throttle for the hole shot, she would just bog down and would only accelerate a little faster than idle. I pulled the choke out about half way and she ripped like I thought it would originally. My brother who was with me said that he thought it was probably an air to fuel ratio causing this, but I thought before I try to find a manual and fix, I would check with you all on here. I am sure that some day I will need the manual, just not right now for something that seems like it should just be an easy adjustment. Thanks guys.

EDIT**I forgot to also mention that it does not (has not yet) stall out in idle or tryint WOT. Also I don't believe the load is a problem because it ran the same with and without my 200+ pound brother in the boat. Spits out water just fine as well too (the motor, not my brother!).

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 Yamaha 30HP 2 stroke

Main jets are plugged if you have to pull choke to make it run at higher RPMs
No adjustment on that,
idle(pilot) screw is for the low RPMs