Broken Shift Shaft on Yamaha 150 EXF 1989

skullbus

Cadet
Well I dug up the money and ordered a stainless shift shaft from shiftshaft .com................It took about an hour to install , I did not want to pull the engine nor did I have a hoist, I'am not tootin their horn ,But it did save me a lot of trouble .The cost was 239.00, I think I saved that in labor! No one I talked to even heard of them.Good luck and I'll see you on the water! YA !

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Broken Shift Shaft on Yamaha 150 EXF 1989

If this had been invented 15 years ago, I see where it they could make a go of it but its rare see one rust off anymore. Most all those old shafts have already been replaced. I use to keep shafts in stock but haven't had a call for one in several years. Good idea but a little late for the party.
Just spotted one flaw in the design

skullbus

Cadet

Capt what did you see in the design you didn't like ? I ran the motor and it shifted fine. I wish I had a newer motor ,But an 89 was all I could afford 5 year's ago. I just wanted anyone like myself to have a head's up before they bought an older yamaha with the design flaw in the day. Have a Great Day!

Capt Ken

Commander

There is no retaining clip on the upper end that I can see. Looks like the shaft might drop out when dropping the lower unit for servicing. If that happens then getting the spline back end without removing the carbs would be a pain.

skullbus

Cadet

There is no retaining clip on the upper end that I can see. Looks like the shaft might drop out when dropping the lower unit for servicing. If that happens then getting the spline back end without removing the carbs would be a pain.

Their is a clip on the top of the shaft that holds the bracket that connects to the shift cable .The shift shaft comes in two parts,the splined s.s. shaft which is splined on both ends ,the bottum is female and the upper male . after installing the shaft from the bottum you place the shift lever arm on the top and stick the pin thru the shaft , which holds the shaft in place then you install the lower unit. And you dont have to remove the carb's . you can on the v-4's not the 6's that is why I paid the x-tra money for their set up or I would of had to pull the powerhead .