* PLEASE HELP * Yamaha V-max 3.1 Oil Problem

05charger296

Recruit
Hello,

I have a 2005 Yamaha V-max 3.1 200 h.p. model VX200TLRD. I was fishing the other day and my low oil alarm went, I went straight to the ramp an put oil in the tank. An hour or two later the alarm went off again, I pulled the engine cowling off and the oil tank on the side of the motor was low, so I put oil in that tank and the alarm sounded again shortly after.

I pushed the grey transfer switch to manually transfer oil to the motor tank and nothing happens, I tested the harness that goes to the main tank and I am getting 12 volts so I pulled the main tank out of the boat and took it in the garage to the work bench and hooked it directly to a 12 volt battery and the pump makes the sound but no oil comes out the line, I thought that maybe the inline filter or strainer could be plugged but I don't think that is the case because I can blow through the oil-line rather freely and it blows air bubbles up into the tank. So next I pulled the cover off the face of the pump and turned it on, you can see the gears turning oil freely.

If the pump is running but not pumping Yamaha seems to think that means the pump is good??

Not sure where to go from here and was hoping someone else has had the same problem in the past

PLEASE HELP

THANKS

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: * PLEASE HELP * Yamaha V-max 3.1 Oil Problem

If you hooked up the 12 volts backwards then it will not pump oil out the oil line.

The e switch and oil module turn the pump on by grounding the negative, the 12 + should be at pump any time key is on

05charger296

Recruit

If you hooked up the 12 volts backwards then it will not pump oil out the oil line.

The e switch and oil module turn the pump on by grounding the negative, the 12 + should be at pump any time key is on

I have 12volts with key on, when I removed the pump and wired it directly to a battery it would come on but not pump oil, that was with blue to positive and brown to ground so I called Yamaha and they I got it backwards the brown needs to go on the positive and blue to ground, and stated that the pump would run but not pump with it wired backwards, so I tried the brown to positive and blue to ground like Yamaha said and it arches out, almost like when you hook up a battery charger backwards.
Do you think it is arching out because the pump is bad? I ordered a new pump but I hate to spend $150. if that is not my problem.

Any suggestions will be appreciated and thank you for your help

Brad

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

motor should run when hooked up to 12 volts