1997 Yamaha Saltwater Series ii s200txrv SLAMS into gear and runs horrible at low rpm

Coreye2044

Cadet
I recently bought my boat last year, it is a 1997 Century Walkaround 2100 with a Yamaha s200txrv carbureted engine. Ever since i bought it, it has acted funny at idle and when i put it in gear. Seems like every time i tried to troll with it, i just fouled the plugs causing it to surge when it was just sitting at idle. (it will idle at 650-700 rpms then all of a sudden surge to 900-1000 rpms then back down) i would change the spark plugs and it seemed fine. I also pulled the carbs and rebuilt. The carb bowls/floats weren't really dirty but i more or less did it for a piece of mind. Another big thing that i have notice is when i just bump it in gear (forward or reverse), it slams into gear and drops RPM's down to 300-400 and seems to bog out - almost stalling and sometimes stalling (really annoying when trying to back it into the slip). Once i get it above 1200 rpms, it seems to be fine. Running WOT, the thing runs great. 53mph and smooth. I didn't know if it maybe the prop, but if it was the prop it wouldn't run that great at WOT. If any of you have suggestions, i would highly appreciate it.

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: 1997 Yamaha Saltwater Series ii s200txrv SLAMS into gear and runs horrible at low

Sounds like the carbs are not synchronized properly

Coreye2044

Cadet
Re: 1997 Yamaha Saltwater Series ii s200txrv SLAMS into gear and runs horrible at low

Why do you say that? What symptoms usually occur to make you check the synchronization on the carbs? Sorry I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just trying to learn this engine and what to look for. Thanks again

Coreye2044

Cadet

Anyone? Rodbolt, you out there?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Rod does not post here anymore.

Anytime the carbs are reinstalled you need to follow the link and sync in the service manual