Suzuki DT225 Head Gaskets

seaox230c

Recruit
I'm changing out the headgaskets in my 2003 dt225. They are the originals. They appear to have been glued/sealed in due to the fact that they came out poorly-lots of paper residue left on the heads. Took a while to scrape off with a plastic scraper. My factory manual doesn't even mention the gaskets during rebuild. I know car headgaskets go on dry..Anyone do head gaskets on an outboard..thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Suzuki DT225 Head Gaskets

I do mine dry, the gaskets will have any sealer already on them, that side normally goes to the head.
Car gasket glue will corrode the head in no time

seaox230c

Recruit

The head gasket and the cover gasket are both slightly sticky...so thats where the "glue" came from. Both gaskets have extra white "sealant" on them on one side only. The head on the flanges -see picture and the cover gasket around the spark plug holes...The manual makes no reference at all. Does the sealant face the cylinder block or the head plate on the head gasket and on the cover gasket does the sealant face the head or the cover plate thanks

Attachments

• Head Gasket Suzuki 001.JPG
    Head Gasket Suzuki 001.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 0

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Ive always done sticky side to head for headgasket.

seaox230c

Recruit

Both sides are equally sticky, but only one side has the extra white layer...its thin but it seems to serve some purpose. You are probably right, if the white side goes toward the cylinders, only a small piece of it actually touches metal, whereas the head side is all metal under that outlined section